Vegetarian Dinner Ideas: Beetroot Burgers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Try out this unusual recipe if you’re craving some variety to your meals!

These burgers are colourful, exciting, delicious and healthy. They go perfectly served with brioche buns, fresh salad and sweet potato fries.

Ingredients:

• 4 beetroots (either raw or precooked)
  • 1 onion
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 2 large mushrooms
  • 20g quinoa
  • 2tbsp plain flour
  • 1tbsp oil
  • For serving – brioche burger buns, salad such as tomato, avocado and lettuce, and roasted sweet potato chips.

Method:

• Boil the kettle and put the quinoa on to cook.
  • Chop the onion, garlic and mushrooms and place in a pan over a low heat with some oil and leave to fry.
  • Meanwhile, prepare the beetroot. If they are raw, they will need topping, tailing and peeling; if they are precooked they will be ready the way they are. Simply grate the pink flesh into a bowl.
  • In another bowl, mix the fried onion, garlic and mushrooms with the kidney beans and mash up with either a potato masher or a blender. They should make a fairly smooth paste, while still retaining some chunks.
  • Mix in the quinoa, followed by the beetroot flesh. Then add some herbs and seasoning.
  • So that the mixture will hold together to form the burgers, add the flour and the oil. Mix together to make quite a sticky paste, adding more oil and flour if necessary.
  • Divide the mixture into 5 different patties using your hands to mould them into shape, and place them on a baking tray.
  • If you are just making a meal for one at this stage, freeze or refrigerate four of the burgers and just cook the one. Bake it for around 40 minutes, adding chopped sweet potato with oil to the baking dish with half an hour to go, so that you have the fries ready on time as well.
  • When everything is ready, toast the brioche (or can use any other kind of bun) for a few minutes, and serve with your chosen salad!

(Photo Credit: www.myvega.com)

Her Campus magazine