The U.S. Election… What Just Happened?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

This is the man who holds the most powerful position in the world. How did this happen? How did an openly sexist, racist, unqualified business man with a pending rape case become President of the United States? It is with deep incredulity that I begin writing this: in the early hours of this morning, the world received the horrifying news that Donald Trump had been elected the 45th President of the United States.

How did this get so far? 18 months ago when Trump first announced his intention to run for President, he was met with widespread scepticism from the international community. Although Trump’s venture in politics was shocking, the ridiculous nature of his extremely offensive opinions seemed far too provocative to be taken serious. He was never initially perceived as a serious candidate with any real chance of winning the Republican nomination, let alone Presidency.

Then the unthinkable happened. On the 26th May, Donald Trump was officially confirmed as the Republican nomination. The world truly had to face the possibility of Trump in the White House.

We have woken up in a world that would rather elect a sexist bigot, rather than a woman with 30 years of experience in American government.  How did this happen? Trump’s election, like Brexit, represents a desire for a changing politics. The vast majority of the electorate evidentially felt disregarded by the political elite. Ordinary people felt as though their interests and opinions were not being represented. Trump was something different. He became a beacon of hope to the disenfranchised working-class right. His outspoken, outlandish nature differed greatly to the typical nature of a politician and his economical success was highly impressive and aspirational. His ability to become President shows how problematic a disillusioned electorate who feel misrepresented can be in terms of increasing political extremism. Trump’s fanatical views are not seen as so radical anymore: his extremist opinions have become validated as those of the majority.

Trump’s campaigning and subsequent election is a validation and catalyst for racist, sexist and homophobic views. Electing Trump as the President of the United States is an extremely regressive act. Substantiating such abhorrent ideas guarantees a mass degrading of social equalities over Trump’s presidency.

Why did Hilary Clinton lose? Her campaign was frequently branded by the media as the ‘lesser of two evils’, a sentiment that cost her greatly. Whilst I make no attempt to portray Hilary as the optimum presidential candidate whatsoever, it is absolutely ridiculous to suggest her and Trump are equally matched in any possible way. She surpasses him greatly in qualifications, wisdom and suitability to presidency. It is absurd that she did not win; Clinton’s loss is far more to do with her gender than her ability to be president. I find it hard to believe that she would have lost the election if she were a man.

I am appalled that a woman who has held so many positions of authority in the American government was degraded to running alongside Trump, forced to debate him as her equal. I am appalled that a serious politician had to run a campaign where the headlines discussed her fashion sense rather than her intellect. I am appalled that in 2016 a woman still could not be President of the United States.

The world is right to be scared. It is not just Trump’s detestable views that make him a danger to us all. It is his denial of climate change that is so unfathomable. He has openly denied the existence of climate change, brandishing it a ‘Chinese hoax’. His campaign set out to scrap all the work done by Barack Obama in reversing the effects of global warming. He plans to repeal federal spending on clean energy and to pull the USA out of the Paris climate deal. It is estimated that Trump’s proposals lead to an extra 3.4 billions of CO2 emissions compared with Clinton’s policies. Trump’s presidency will surely have a disastrous effect on the planet; by rapidly increasingly the US’ emissions, Trump will massively contribute to the rapid deterioration of the Planet.

I am with her. I am with every voice across America whose freedoms have been comprised by this result. I am with the women who have their futures in the hands of a rape apologist who believes that women should be punished for abortions, and that sexual assault should be seen as flattering attention. I am with the Mexican people who Trump branded rapists and drug dealers, who he wishes to keep out with a wall. I am with the LGBT+ community whose equal opportunities are threatened by Trump’s deeply entrenched homophobia. I am with the refugees who are met with a torrent of xenophobic abuse as opposed to compassionate care and understanding. I am with everyone who sought to stop this atrocious man in his ascension to the White House. We are with you, America – you are not alone.

Her Campus magazine