This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

If you’re anything like me then you might have been in mourning recently over the colder temperatures and nearing of winter. It is starting to get dark just after 5pm and worst of all, iced latte season is well and truly over. I stretched it to its limit, but I can’t resist the change any longer and it’s time to move on. Pumpkin spice is certainly one solution, but with Halloween over it feels like this might have reached its end too. Luckily, the new season is a time to explore another favourite indulgence of mine: the hot chocolate.

Hot-choc-tober has come to an end, but that’s no reason to give up on it now. This drink is like a little hug-in-a-mug which will certainly bring a spot of joy to your autumn days. They are easy to make at home, but I prefer to treat myself to a marshmallow-filled, cream-topped extravaganza out, so here’s a list of the best spots to get your hands on one this winter warmer:

Soho coffee co

Soho Coffee Co is an absolute gem of a coffee shop with student discounts, seasonal drinks and sweet treats to die for. The Biscoff blondie hot chocolate in the newest addition to their autumn menu and this cup of cocoa definitely beats all others. Pair with a sticky-toffee muffin for that extra sugary boost and you will be ready to brave those chilling temperatures.

Their ordinary hot chocolate is also worth a try, especially if you’re looking for something a little less sweet. Swap to oat, soya, or coconut for free, or even add a shot of hazelnut syrup if you’re feeling fancy.

Mrs potts chocolate house

Pumpkin spice, strawberry blush, caramel popcorn, chocolate malt. These are just a few of the limited edition drinks on offer at this chocolate-lover’s haven. Perfect for a coffee date out with friends after a long day of work, or as a morning treat to get your day started right. True, it will push your budget a little bit further but you can’t say it isn’t worth it! I would definitely recommend going with someone who is willing to go halves so you can get the most out of this mouth watering menu and try a few different options.

Costa coffee

I wouldn’t usually endorse a trip to Costa, especially when there are so many independent stores out there to try, but their hot chocolates are something special and definitely worth a trip for. Ask for it ‘extra hot’ if, like me, you always find the second half of your drink disappointingly lukewarm. There’s no need to add the extras on this one, the hot chocolate is perfect by itself and will certainly bring a smile to your day. There is just about a Costa on every corner of every town or city in the UK so there’s really no excuse.

Knoops

This up-and-coming store recently opened a branch in Bath, which I was fortunate enough to visit in recent months. At the time, I went for a 34% iced chocolate (though I may opt for a warmer option now), described accurately as a blend of milk, cocoa and caramel tones – aka pure bliss. The best thing about this place is that it’s all customisable so you can really make the most out of your money and experience. From white to dark, with options of oat, almond, soya, coconut, hazelnut or the old-fashioned dairy milk to choose from, not to mention the extras of a pinch of sea salt or some cinnamon spice; Knoops surely deserves to be added to your autumn bucket list.

home!

As much as I love going out to a cafe, sometimes the weekly student budget just simply won’t allow for it and there’s no shame in enjoying a hot chocolate from the comfort of your own home. I recently discovered Clipper’s ‘natural, fair and delicious’ velvet instant powder which only set me back £2.35 in Sainsbury’s and has been keeping me going over the past few weeks. Marshmallows – even vegans ones – are easily found at the supermarket and a good investment if your planning to spend this autumn at home. You might even like to buy some squirty cream to go with it and invite some friends round to share the joys of this quick and easy winter warmer.

Kashvi Cox

Bristol '26

Hello, my name is Kashvi and I am an English undergraduate at the University of Bristol. This is my first year writing for Her Campus and I'm particularly excited to contribute to the wellness, food and lifestyle sections. Outside of my studies I love to dance, run and do anything sporty! I am also keen to get into the world of journalism and start to establish my own personal style of writing.