The Student Oven: Gooey Chocolate Vanilla Sandwich Cake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

This time it’s chocolate again, and what better way to savour your chocolate than in a delicious, moist sandwich cake. This recipe is really simple but a guaranteed crowd-pleaser nonetheless. Enjoy with friends and family as a pudding or tasty addition to afternoon tea. 

Ingredients

·      200g self-raising flour 

·      50g cocoa powder

·      200g unsalted butter, softened

·      200g caster sugar

·      3 eggs, lightly beaten

·      2 tsps vanilla extract

·      175ml butter

·      1 tsp cider vinegar

For the icing and decoration:

·      125g/4½oz unsalted butter, softened

·      175g/6oz cream cheese, softened

·      500g/1lb 2oz icing sugar, sifted

·      2 drops of vanilla extract  

Method

1.     Preheat the oven to 170/325F/Gas 3. Grease and line one large tin.

2.     In a bowl, sift together the flour and the cocoa powder.

3.     Cream the butter and sugar until the mixture is light, fluffy and pale.

4.     Gradually add the beaten egg, adding a tablespoon of the flour mixture if it begins to curdle. When it is thoroughly mixed, add the vanilla.

5.     Finally stir in the buttermilk until thoroughly combined.

6.     Spoon immediately into the prepared tin.

7.     Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until springy to the touch.

8.     Meanwhile make the vanilla icing. Place the softened butter and cream cheese into a bowl and beat until thoroughly combined, soft and fluffy. Gradually add the sifted icing sugar and vanilla until the mixture is well-combined.

9.     Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for at least five minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

10.  Carefully slice the cake in half lengthways.

11.  When both pieces are both cool, spread half of the icing on one of the slices, then place the other piece of cake on top. Then spread the remaining icing on the top of the sandwich cake and smooth over.

12.  Enjoy! 

Hey! I'm Claire and I'm a first year student at Bristol studying French and German. I love reading, writing, baking and blogging and am loving Bristol life so far.
Her Campus magazine