The Student Oven: Apple and Blackberry Loaf Cake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

This seasonal cake is really delicious and not the unhealthiest bake in the world! I would say that a good third of the cake is made up of fruit so it’s definitely one that can be enjoyed more regularly than others. The texture can get nice and gooey but the sharpness of the blackberries really pierces through the cake to remind you that they’re there! The crumb on top is a must; it makes the top of the loaf cake really crunchy and tasty, providing yet more texture. Even though, in my opinion, the apple doesn’t carry much flavour in the mix, it does ensure a moist cake.

Ingredients

·       250g self-raising flour

·       175g butter

·       175g light muscovado sugar

·       ½ tsp cinnamon

·       2 rounded tbsp demerara sugar

·       1 small eating apple, such as Cox’s, quartered (not cored or peeled)

·       2 large eggs, beaten

·       1 orange, finely grated zest

·       1 tsp baking powder

·       225g blackberries

Method

1.     Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4/fan 160C.

2.     Grease and line the bottom of a 1.7 litre loaf tin.

3.     In a large bowl, rub the flour, butter and muscovado sugar together with your fingertips to make fine crumbs.

4.     Take 5 tablespoons of this mixture and set aside in a small bowl with the cinnamon and demerara sugar. This will be the crunchy topping for the cake.

5.     Grate the apple down to its core and combine thoroughly with the eggs and orange zest.

6.     Stir the baking powder into the rubbed-in mixture in the large bowl, then quickly and lightly stir in the egg mixture until it drops lightly from the spoon.

7.     Gently fold in three quarters of the berries with a metal spoon, trying not to break them up. Spoon into the tin and level.

8.     Scatter the rest of the berries on top.

9.     Sprinkle over the topping and bake for 1¼ -1 hour 20 minutes.

10.  Check after 50 minutes and cover loosely with foil if it is browning too much. When done the cake will feel firm, but test with a skewer.

11.  Leave in the tin for 30 minutes before turning out, then cool on a wire rack.

12.  Peel off the paper before cutting. Will keep wrapped in foil or in a tin for up to 2 days.

13.  Eat and enjoy!

Hey! I'm Claire and I'm a first year student at Bristol studying French and German. I love reading, writing, baking and blogging and am loving Bristol life so far.
Her Campus magazine