This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

‘The Food Medic’, otherwise known as Dr Hazel Wallace, is an intelligent, Instagram savvy doctor and author who utilises her knowledge to bridge the gap between science and lifestyle. She specifically focuses upon the latest developments in nutrition and how this is relevant to traditional medical advice. Her aim is to encourage health promoting behaviours and maximise benefits through how we live our lives.

(https://thefoodmedic.co.uk/)

Admittedly she does initially seem like the woman with it all that you may love to hate online but passed her carefully crafted breakfasts and wholesome aesthetic I would argue her content truly has educational and inspirational value that is grounded in scientific facts. The website addresses highly debated issues such as the effects of dairy upon the environment, fat burning supplements (also known as thermogenics) and the panic around Soy. Many of the articles are written by undergraduate contributors to her website, or more qualified individuals in their field and are all also fully referenced – so you know you’re getting reliable information. She has a focused lens upon nutrition that is appropriate for all, whether you want a critical analysis of the ‘clean eating’ trend or a guide to supplements or are perhaps simply looking for a recipe to replace your daily dose of pasta pesto. Her platforms are like motherly advice, friendly lecturer and handy doctor all rolled into one – perfect for any quick queries and uncertainties you may have regarding nutritional lifestyle whilst at uni. 

Her website includes a section called ‘Resources’ that provides articles with helpful, practical tips to put the information she provides into action. Collaborations with small businesses that are benefitting the world of food and lifestyle are included here also, such as ‘Obeo’ who created a compostable box for clean and easy food waste. Her advice is not limited to this niche however, she has articles on preventing travellers’ diarrhoea, simple breast self-examinations and tips for better sleep.

She really is the holy grail (in my opinion)!

(https://thefoodmedic.co.uk/the-food-medic-books/

My favourite aspect of her numerous platforms is her podcasts. They are easy and enjoyable through a doctor or specialist. There is regularly a guest expert, usually another qualified doctor, to discuss a specific topic that ranges from periods, IBS, skin health and general nutritional advice. After half an hour of listening to her you really do feel truly informed on that specific area – and if you don’t, she definitely gives you advice on where to go to get further advice! I especially loved this with regards to her episode on skin health where she introduced Dr. Anjali Mahto (@anjalimahto) who is a consultant dermatologist and author of ‘The Skincare Bible.’ Their conversation left me feeling pretty confident with products I should and shouldn’t be spending money on for my skin – ultimately allowing me to see through the many exaggerated claims of the cosmetics industry and aiding me on feeling like I can be an expert in my own skincare routine. I appreciate this has strayed from the topic of food largely – but it just shows the depth of knowledge she shares across all her platforms.

If you simply want a little pick me up with a comforting, wholesome meal or you want to make a true effort to inform yourself on the scientific truths behind a specific diet or ingredient ‘The Food Medic’ has it and I highly recommend you check her out.

You can find ‘The Food Medic’ online, @thefoodmedic on Instagram (and all other usual social media sites) and on Spotify for her podcasts.

Sarah Stokes

Bristol '19

Food Editor for Her Campus Bristol.
Sarah Wilson

Bristol '19

Co-President of Her Campus Bristol