The Return of the House Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

As I’m sure anyone who’s returned to uni after finishing first year will tell you, second year is no joke. For arts students at least, the reading has doubled, the length of seminars has doubled, and worst of all, everything now counts (can’t wait for third year!) But if there’s one thing about second year that can redeem all of this added pressure, it’s the humble house party.

Now that everybody has moved out of halls into houses, throwing a house party is easy: you ‘ask your housemates’ permission’ whilst heavily implying they don’t really have a choice, hope that they don’t ignore you for a week, create the event on Facebook, set the time appropriately late enough so your friends know that this isn’t just another pre-drinks, and bam! You have your house party. If you’re really feeling it, you’ll drag your fairy lights out of your room and drape them artfully around the living room, and beg your coolest friend to make you a playlist. Now all you have to do is wait for enough people to turn up for it not feel awkward and empty, but not too many that your house gets trashed. That’s an art my housemates and I haven’t yet perfected.

For me, house parties are far superior to clubbing. I realise it’s not your average student opinion, and that I sound like a grandma, but clubbing is exhausting. In first year, my flat’s favourite clubs were SWX and Lakota, and if you lived in Manor Hall, that meant stumbling your way down Park Street or undertaking a mammoth trek to Stoke’s Croft. By the time we’d arrived, my worn-out legs could only handle an hour’s dancing before the tiredness started counteracting the alcohol. On an expensive night, I would be counting down the minutes until enough time had been spent in the club for me to get my money’s worth.

In contrast to clubbing, house parties are a dream come true. Even if you live far away from the host, you won’t be expected to immediately start dancing, leaving ample time have a drink and a chat. That’s another negative to clubbing – you can’t chat to your mates without shouting at the top of your lungs/freezing in the smoking area/waiting for them to stop getting with someone. At a house party, you’ve got time to get to know new people, rather than bonding with the girl you’ve just met in the loos, never to see her again.

The second year house party has evolved from the year 10 house party – no longer is it a contest to see who can make a name for themselves by getting with the most people in one night. Instead, you get the chance to have a great time with your friends without spending loads of money. What’s not to love?

University of Bristol Contributer
Zoe Thompson

Bristol '18

President of Her Campus Bristol.