This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

‘Unprecedented’ seems to be the most popular word of 2020. During lockdown my family and I would play a game where we would guess how many times the news reporters and politicians would use the word in conversation. I suppose its constant use is justified since we are living through a period that nobody has experienced before and one which nobody knows how best to resolve. But with unprecedented times comes so much uncertainty, which can inevitably be challenging and emotionally wearing.

Sometimes it is really beneficial to take a moment to reflect on the past. Excuse the cheesy metaphor, but imagine you’re hiking up a mountain. You feel tired, out of breath – and the sight of seemingly never-ending incline ahead of you fills you with dread and worry. If you pause to turn around and appreciate how far you’ve already walked, it can be gratifying and fill you with the confidence and motivation to continue. The thought of prolonged restrictions or possible lockdowns is discomforting, particularly while living away from home, but we have already endured a very abnormal summer and there are always things to look forward to.

Woman standing
Nina Ulhikova

At times, this all feels like a never-ending climb up a mountain, but try to enjoy the ‘view’.

So let’s reflect on the positive outcomes of lockdown and social restrictions. I’m aware that sounds like an impossible task, what with the mass cancellations of all-inclusive holidays to idyllic Greek islands. I view 2020 as a year of self- and societal improvement, taking that necessary break to acknowledge what we are already blessed with rather than the lost opportunities. I spent lockdown at home with my family and although I admit it wasn’t always plain sailing, it was the first time in years that we’ve all been together playing board games and baking cakes. Daily life can be so fast-paced and stressful; it can create social disintegration and disunity. While we must appreciate that some are affected worse than others, it’s important to remember that we are all together in these ‘unprecedented’ times. Between March and May we partook in the ‘Clap for Our Carers’ every Thursday evening. What originated as a symbol of gratitude and support for the NHS became universally comforting as we heard our neighbours and felt a sense of community during a period of isolation.

Clear Blue Sea
Pixabay / Pexels

While we may have missed out on our more exotic holidays this year, we have been able to experience and appreciate our own back yards.

I will admit that I barely knew most of my neighbours at the beginning of this year. During lockdown I would head off on my daily walk and typically pass a couple of people doing some gardening. Even if we didn’t speak for long, we would always exchange a few words (perhaps talk about the weather as British people love to do so often) and I now know most of my neighbours’ names. It seems sad that it took a national lockdown for that communication to take place, but hopefully you can relate to that feeling of connecting with people you otherwise wouldn’t have spoken to. Perhaps it was just the lady standing behind you in the queue to do your weekly shop at Sainsbury’s. A simple ‘hello’ could have meant so much to someone living alone with no other human interaction.

A summer in the UK may not have been on your wish-list, but we were enabled to discover and explore unique parts of our country. We exchanged our foreign travels for a ‘stay-cation’ in the British countryside and gained an appreciation of our native surroundings, particularly when we had such beautiful weather towards the beginning of the summer. I’m sure I’m not alone in believing that spontaneous plans are often the best kind – when you have no expectations you can’t be disappointed.

The point I’m trying to make is that even in the worst of times we can make the most of it and find silver linings. If you’re just beginning your time at University, I could imagine potential feelings of anxiety and the fear of missing out on the classic Freshers experience. You don’t need to worry about having a disappointing year. All Freshers are in the same boat as you and, in fact, all students are as well. It’s different for all of us and something that we will adapt to. What you can look forward to is becoming self-sufficient, moving to a new area, making lifelong friends and starting an exciting chapter in your life. If you find yourself struggling the chances are your neighbour is feeling the same emotions as you. Consider your personal achievements that got you to where you are today. Think about how we’ve collectively come through so much and, whatever the situation, however uncertain you feel, you will always have wonderful moments and make happy memories.

This article is part of a themed content week exploring ways to embrace new beginnings at the start of the new academic year.

Freya Gagg

Bristol '22

Third year Liberal Arts student majoring in English. Head of Publicity & Relations with other societies at HC Bristol 20/21
Her Campus magazine