Motivating Yourself after a Bad Grade or a Work-Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

We’ve all had that day when we received a grade back and it’s not what we wanted. Whenever this happens to me, I have to fight the urge to wrap myself in a blanket in front of a trashy TV show and drown myself in mint choc chip ice cream. Over time, I have become a lot better at understanding my relationship with studying and exams. Here is my list of how to motivate yourself after a bad grade and out of the dreaded work-slump. 

1. Process and remain calm!

It is normal to be upset and emotional about a bad grade – you worked hard! Allowing yourself to feel your emotions is part of getting back up, and acknowledging them is healthy. However, it is important to keep a balance and not become overly disappointed and obsessive. 

2. Eliminate the word “failure”. 

Sometimes it helps to put things into perspective; how impactful is that grade really? Will this matter tomorrow? In a week? Or in two years? The likelihood is probably not. By calling yourself a “failure”, you’re immediately devaluing all your hard work and successes leading up to that point. It may not be what you expected, but it’s not worth beating yourself up over. 

3. Reflect on your work!

Students who reflect upon feedback are likely to do better in the future. After completing a piece of coursework or an exam, it is helpful to be mindful of the comments so that you can address any issues you’re having. Is there anything you struggled with that you know you could improve on? What would help you do better next time? Take it as a learning experience and something you can apply in future endeavours. 

4. Take action! 

Once you’ve established what you can do next time, become an active student! Even though it can be daunting, speaking to other course mates and unit tutors can help adapt the way you tackle assignments and address any problems or difficulties you’re experiencing. 

Getting out of a work-slump: 

1. Ask yourself why. 

There are usually reasons for why you’re struggling to stay focused and motivated about your studies, considering the causes can really turn things around. By reflecting and paying attention to your wellbeing and mental health, you can come back ready to tackle that scary reading list! 

2. Refresh and reboot!

Although this may seem counterproductive, especially when you may have spent the last week avoiding the ever-growing list of deadlines, this is actually worth the time! Think of it as a recharge to avoid burning out. Being tired is counterproductive and can make you resent your course, so allowing yourself time to recuperate is beneficial in the long run.

3. Set goals and celebrate the small wins! 

My valentine this year is my colour-coded spreadsheet that I use to keep track of all my goals, readings and exams. Each month, I set myself a list of small and achievable goals that aren’t all centred around my studies! I also make sure to add onto my achievements list so that I am always being my own cheerleader and celebrating the smaller wins each day. This has also proved to be incredibly helpful to read through when I’m having a low self-esteem day. 

4. Create a good support network!

Motivation has a natural fluctuation, and everyone struggles with it at some point. I’ve personally found that online study dates with friends have become so crucial to my success and at the same time, battle loneliness. It’s nice to have people to help lift you up and make sure you’re not the only one struggling to tackle your homework tasks. 

I’m a Hispanic Studies student (Spanish, Portuguese & Catalan) at the University of Bristol! I love all things musical theatre and having a boogie!
Her Campus magazine