A Look at “Inky Fingertips”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

I didn’t know what to expect from live poetry. I mean, I’d obviously like studied poetry before and pretended I’d got it and stuff, but I’d never really expressed that much of an interest in it before. I went to Latitude last summer and spent quite a bit of time in the poetry tent. They had really comfy cushions, which was great because I’m far too lazy to carry on standing up for ages on all the energy a night in a £20 Carling-drenched tent permits. All the poets were probably really well known, but I was a bit drunk and dazed, so I’ve forgotten. The words just kind of glazed over me– but I remember it being very pretty, and funny, and exciting. Anyway, someone then told me about a poetry night starting in Bristol and I was like yeah alright (Yeah! Alright!).

Inky Fingertips is a monthly poetry and spoken word night in Bristol. It’s organised by two Bristol students, who do all this through the goodness of their hearts and for their love of the spoken word. The night consists of a poetry slam where contestants ‘compete’ in a relaxed friendly environment to win the much-coveted title of Inky Fingertips champion. Contestants are mostly students or locals wanting to perform their work (they’re always looking for new talent – this could be you. YOU ARE A POET.) The sort of open-mic format allows for a variety of acts – half the time it’s basically a comedy night with rhythm and no threat of unwanted audience participation. There are however some excellent opportunities for wanted audience participation. I’m currently attempting to market myself as some sort of Louis Walsh of the poetry-judging world. The night is put on for free and every week there’s a massive renowned poet who you’d have to pay loads for normally. In the past there have been poets such as Hollie McNish, Dizraeli and Anna Freeman. Check them out, they’re all really ace, you’ll definitely want to see them.

Inky Fingertips has properly introduced me to something I’d never really given much consideration to in the past, and now I never miss one. It’s a really amazing event and it’s really brill that it’s put on for free by Bristol students. Basically this is a fawning advert (not that it needs it, the guestlist is always full) and not any sort of attempt at a critique (how could I?). Events like this are the best thing about student life and are much better than a night at whichever godforsaken club is the flavour of the month. Also, the drinks are £1 and very strong.

Photo Credits: 1, 2

Second year French and German student at the University of Bristol. Terrible social etiquette and very irritating laugh.