Learn to Eat, Not Diet: Week 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Last week I wrote about how eating healthily doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive. Eating well is simply about sound nutritional principles and being consistent. I believe that our relationship with food is both physiological and psychological, and so the tools which I use to stay healthy cover both of these areas.  Life is less than ideal and my rules allow for this.

To summarize, the rules I discussed last week were:

Rule 1/ What to Eat: Combine the Food Groups –> Eat protein with low GI carbohydrates and a little fat to maintain steady energy

Rule 2/ How to Eat: Spend Wisely –> Indulge in food, but make it worthwhile.

This week’s new rules are:

Rule 3/ WHAT TO EAT: Good Hydration is Essential

Aim to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day. Water not only quenches thirst but also helps you to recover after exercise and physical activity. Many people are unsure of whether other fluids, such as tea, coffee, fruit juice and even alcohol count towards liquid intake. The simple answer is no. Fruit juice contains too much sugar and regular coffee and tea contain caffeine, a diuretic that actually reduces hydration. You can still drink these other substances but make sure you still have 8 glasses of water as well. Another thing to watch out for is salt, which can dehydrate you. Instead of adding it to food, try herbs and spices as an alternative.

A Word on Alcohol

Alcohol isn’t healthy, which isn’t a shock to many, I’m sure. It is a fermented product and therefore reduces the amount of beneficial bacteria in the gut, but more importantly it is a simple carbohydrate and therefore affects glucose rapidly. This is both dehydrating and bad for weight maintenance. Furthermore, alcohol reduces your willpower — many experience cravings for sugary and fatty foods after alcohol that could spoil an otherwise healthy lifestyle (Think Donervan’s). However, most people drink socially and therefore it is hard to completely abstain from drinking. Try and stick to a two drink maximum and only drink 3 times per week. When drinking, the best choices are wine and vodka with a clean mixer. Avoid sugary drinks and beer (the yeast affects digestive health).

Rules 4/ HOW TO EAT: Eat Consciously

Often people don’t pay attention to what they eat –not only in the sense of the actual food they consume, but also being distracted whilst eating. We all have busy lives, but setting aside ten minutes to eat dinner without any distraction is manageable for most people.

• Chew food slowly and well: you will notice the taste better and it will aid digestion.
  • Don’t eat while distracted, this isn’t always possible but you should try and a least be able to remember what you ate. Try and eat whilst seated and don’t eat rapidly.
  • Respect your food. My housemates think I’m strange because I try and make everything I eat look restaurant quality whilst presenting it to myself. Give food your full attention and make each meal a chance to nourish yourself.

I hope you enjoyed this week’s article and can try to introduce some of these rules into your everyday life. Once they become habitual you’ll never understand why you weren’t always this healthy; it will be second nature. Good luck!

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3

Hello, my name is Caspar and currently I am student at the University of Bristol. I study Social Policy and also have a modelling contract with Gingersnap Models. I enjoy many things including sport, fashion, art and culture. I grew up in Hale, Cheshire but now consider myself a bonafide Londoner.