This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

With so many nutritional messages out there, the simple art of eating is often over-complicated and perplexing. The notion of eating well is something many of us aspire to do, but with a plethora of diets on the market — all touting their unique gut-busting feature – healthy eating often gets warped in a crossover between fad dieting, celebrity culture and pure stupidity.

Eating well is actually very simple. If you are consistent, sensible and follow sound nutritional principles, there is no reason why you can’t live a healthy, happy life. From a personal perspective, it took me some time to figure out the right method to live healthily. The multi-billion pound diet industry is brutal, and it makes more commercial sense to sell the desperate public nutritional messages that don’t work: repeat custom is always great for business.

While it pains me to see people who are perpetually on the dieting roundabout, I believe it’s naïve to assume that unhealthy eating patterns are simply physiological. Many people have a poor relationship with food. Are you one of them? Do you use words like “guilt” and “naughty” when talking about what you eat? If this sounds familiar, then it’s time to let go of these feelings. Try to feel more relaxed about food: there is nothing wrong with occasionally eating purely for pleasure. If you eat what you crave in moderation or find healthier alternatives, then you can eat without deprivation.

Bearing this in mind, I have developed 20 rules to live by. Ten are concerned with the physiological aspect of food – “what to eat” for a nutritionally sound diet in an ideal world. The other 10 deal with the psychological aspect – “how to eat” in situations which aren’t ideal and how everything (yes, chocolate cake, ice cream – you name it!) can fit into a healthy lifestyle.

Each week I will deliver two new rules, one for each section.

RULE 1 / WHAT TO EAT: Combine the food groups.

Food is converted into glucose in the body at different rates. By eating the right proportions of different food groups, we can sustain our energy levels for longer. Carbohydrates have long had a bad reputation because they all convert to sugar in the body; how fast this process occurs is known as the glycemic index (GI). By eating protein with carbohydrates, we can lower the glycemic load (GL).

Therefore, choose low GI carbohydrates (i.e., vegetables, whole grains, beans and legumes) and eat them with protein (and some healthy fats).

Result: The hormone insulin isn’t spiked and blood sugar remains stable, leading to better mood and concentration, fewer cravings and less weight gain potential!

In Practice: Salmon with vegetables and quinoa. Snack on oatcakes with peanut butter.

RULE 2 / HOW TO EAT: Spend Wisely

Earlier on, I said you could enjoy everything as part of a healthy diet. That is true, but to an extent. When you indulge in nutritionally sparse food, enjoy it — but make sure it’s worth it. The majority of the time should be focused on investing in food that makes you feel good, such as low GI meals, which sustain your energy over a prolonged time frame. It’s about balance – if you spend wisely most of the time, you can occasionally splurge on something decadent when you fancy it (I recommend the Clifton Sausage’s Sticky Toffee Pudding). I say “spend wisely” because you shouldn’t spend time eating unhealthy foods that don’t even taste good. That’s just stupid. Some people refer to these occasions as “cheat meals,” but I don’t like to call them that; you’re not cheating on your lifestyle because indulging on occasion should be part of it. Just make sure that at the next meal, you revert back to normal and continue to nourish yourself until you have saved enough to splurge again.

Therefore, eat well all week but enjoy one or two splurges, too.

Result: You can still eat all of your favourite foods, just occasionally.  Consequently, you stay sane.

In Practice: Healthy eating all week, but enjoy your Saturday takeout and friend’s birthday cake without repercussions or feeling as though your health kick is over.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3

Hello, my name is Caspar and currently I am student at the University of Bristol. I study Social Policy and also have a modelling contract with Gingersnap Models. I enjoy many things including sport, fashion, art and culture. I grew up in Hale, Cheshire but now consider myself a bonafide Londoner.