Wellness

IT’S OKAY TO NOT HAVE A PLAN: TIPS FOR COPING WITH UNCERTAINTY IN FINAL YEAR

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Being in the final year of university with thoughts of an impending graduation can be scary. As students, we feel the need to suddenly have our lives planned out and know exactly where we’re heading next. However, this couldn’t be further from the truth, and it’s okay if you don’t have a plan! If you’re struggling with a lack of certainty in final year, here are some things to remember:

There are so many options out there – you always have choices

Not having a plan is okay, but becoming aware of different opportunities available to you can be such a benefit. Utilise the resources you have, like the Careers Service – it’s their primary job to help you! Even if you have no idea which direction you’re heading in after graduating, they can help expose you to options you may have never considered, whilst also supporting you in learning more about your strengths and passions. It can also be beneficial to chat to different family members, professors, or people you randomly meet about their experiences at this age. Even if they never graduated from university, it could help to explore how different people navigated this stage of life.

It can also be useful to remember that applying for different opportunities is not a signed deal, as you always have the choice to change your mind. People who start again and change careers after 25 years of working can still end up equally happy as those who remain in the same profession all their lives. Starting to consider how many possibilities there are may seem overwhelming, but by speaking to other people you’ll realise that the fear of uncertainty isn’t all that uncommon. Through these conversations and by utilising the resources on offer, hopefully you can gain some peace of mind that everything will work out in the end.

Don’t compare yourself to anyone else

That being said, it’s one thing to take inspiration from different people, but that doesn’t mean you must compare yourself to them. It can be difficult to look around and see people who know exactly where they’re going, who have a grad job lined up or have already planned their gap year, when you don’t even want to think about life after university. Everybody is on a different life path and sometimes not having a plan is the best plan you can have. Opportunities can pop up when you least expect them and its okay to take a moment to stop looking for them.

There’s also no such thing as failure when every moment of your life is being experienced for the first time, so remember to give yourself a break. In the end, trying to compare yourself to anybody else (especially friends, siblings or people you hardly even know) can become redundant and potentially damaging. Instead, focus on doing things that make you happy, and don’t feel guilty if right now you don’t know what these things might be.

Life keeps moving but you won’t be left behind

This is one of the most important things you can remember. You have your whole life ahead of you, so not having a plan immediately is not the end of the world. Instead of feeling daunted by the uncertainty of this stage of life, try to think of it as exciting. Who knows where you’ll be in the next few years. The transition from university to what feels like ‘real-life’ isn’t just the months after you graduate, it continues for years whilst you’re trying new things and learning more about yourself. This in itself can be such an exciting prospect.

However, it’s also crucial to remember that you’ve just spent at least 3 years studying and experiencing university life at its fullest: it’s normal to need a break- so give yourself one. You can’t beat yourself up for not planning the next few years of your life when you’ve worked so hard to get through the last ones. It’s fine to take some time to go back home, go abroad, or wherever you need to actually process the past few years. Feel no guilt in taking some time for yourself to consider where you want to go from here. Romanticise the graduation ceremony that’s coming up and be proud of how far you’ve come. Everything else can be considered when you are ready.

If you are feeling worried about life after university, don’t hesitate to contact the careers service or wellness team using the links below:

https://www.bristol.ac.uk/careers/

https://www.bristol.ac.uk/students/support/wellbeing/

Hey, I'm Meg! I'm a Politics and IR student at the University of Bristol, a proud feminist and Co-President of the Bristol Chapter! I'm also an avid writer, eager to step into the field of journalism.