How to thrive during your first few weeks at university.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

1. sAY yES TO EVERYTHING

(BORING psa – THIS HAS TO BE WITHIN REASON)

To optimise your chances of making friends at university, I’d recommend saying yes to as many things as possible. This way you get to try new things, see new parts of the city and make so many more friends compared to if you had stayed in your room. Maybe even suggest plans to people you meet at parties or find on social media- most people will be adopting the same mentality as you and exploring Bristol with friends can be a lot more fun than on your own. 

2. bUY A DIARY

University life is full of deadlines and social events so a planner is a perfect way of organising all your different dates. My planner saved me last year- if it’s not in the planner it’s not happening! This will help you get organised before lectures start as well and makes sure you’re not missing any freshers events. 

3. gET INVOLVED IN SOME SOCIETIES

Browse the student union website and use the search tool to find some societies that align with your hobbies and interests. Make sure to attend the freshers fair running Friday 24th – Saturday 25th September. Societies are a great way to make friends, get out of the house and take a break from your degree. 

4. taKE TIME FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR OWN WELLBEING

Freshers week can be overwhelming socially, especially as most of you will have moved away from home for the first time. Definitely get acquainted with the wellbeing support offered by the university. This link will take you to a page that shows all the support available to students. Please reach out at any point if you feel as though you need it. 

I hope you find some of this advice useful from someone who has completed first year during arguably one of the most difficult years to start university. Make the most of your first few weeks because I can guarantee you that they will fly by.

This piece is part of a themed content week focused on getting back to university at Bristol.

Ella Boyce

Bristol '24

Hello, I'm a third-year English and French student at the University of Bristol currently on a year abroad in Paris. I have now been involved with Her Campus Bristol for three years, taking on the role of Director of Social Media this year.