The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Being someone who is naturally a brunette but insists on bleaching their hair to look like Goldilocks, hair care is something that I have had to research and incorporate into my washing routine. By no means am I a qualified hair expert, but conversations with my hairdresser have made me realise the importance of protecting my dyed mane. Here are a few tips that I incorporate into my haircare routine to fight back the damage of bleach.

Olaplex

Probably the most essential part of revamping your hair care routine is by using Olaplex weekly. If you haven’t heard of Olaplex before, it’s a range of protein-based hair treatments that restores damaged and compromised hair. Unlike regular shampoos and conditioners or drugstore treatments, Olaplex works to replenish your hair from the inside out, creating a healthy, weightless shine. The price tag is scary at first, but this formula cannot be replicated so it is worth spending the extra money if you have it. If not, the sets make the perfect gift to receive. I like to use the No.3 treatment on my hair weekly as a leave-in conditioner and use No.4 and No.5 for general washes.

Sulphate-free shampoo and conditioner

The type of shampoo and conditioner that you use is integral to your hair care routine. Many High Street/ supermarket brands contain sulphates, which build up in your hair overtime. Sulphates are often far too strong for hair, and consequently strip away the moisture, leaving your it dry and unhealthy. Personally, I noticed a huge difference in my hair’s quality as soon as I invested in a high-end sulphate-free shampoo and conditioner. I recommend Maria Nila’s products (they’re also vegan so what’s not to love?), which vary from volumizing, to colour protecting. For those with naturally curly and frizzy hair, Shea Moisture’s range is both affordable and moisturising. This one change to your routine can completely freshen up your locks and prevent those dreaded split-ends.

Scalp massaging

A simple, effective, and cost-free way to give your hair the TLC it deserves is purely by massaging your scalp often. Whether this be with a scalp stimulator, or just your hands, it’ll increase blood flow which will encourage growth. This is the easiest way to give your hair care routine a facelift and only takes a couple of minutes! This can be done whilst shampooing in the shower, or to relax yourself before bed. 

Everyday products

Surprisingly, many of the products we use every day are damaging our hair. There are three main culprits that our causing our frizzy, brittle ends. Firstly: bobbles- I am more than guilty of buying a cheap pack of bobbles from Boots or using small elastics for delicate plaits. However, to prevent pulling or snagging your hair, invest in silk scrunchies or Invisi Bobbles. Instead of rubbing and dragging on your hair, these alternatives slide out and prevent any damage or breakage. Another tip that you may have seen floating around TikTok is to sleep on silk pillows. They cause less friction on your locks during the night and are also generally a cleaner sleep surface. They help you retain the moisture from your scalp’s natural oils and sleep like a princess whilst doing so. Finally, the way we brush our hair and what we use to do so is the foundation of our hair care routines. It is recommended that we brush our hair twice a day, to detangle and distribute our natural oils for that healthy smoothness. Irinel de Leon, Ouidad brand ambassador, says that “Brushing your hair offers great stimulation for your scalp which leads to more hair growth”, but also warns that over brushing can cause dullness. Therefore, it is paramount that you use a brush that is specific to your personal texture and will keep tangles away for the whole day. Some of the best brush brands on the market are, Tangle Teezer, Denman, Ouidad, and Aveda. 

In recent years, haircare has become such a prominent topic in the beauty industry. Whilst it is certainly a financial investment, when our hair looks good, we feel good. We should view our hair care routine as an alternative form of self-care rather than a chore. We all deserve to take a much needed break from essay writing and the responsibilities of everyday life, and replenish our hair from the hardships it suffers on a day to day basis. 

Nia Hopkins

Bristol '23

I'm a second year studying Theatre and English at the University of Bristol. I'm mainly interested in entertainment, lifestyle, and wellness so most of my articles will revolve around these topics!