Editor’s Letter: Why Pancake Day is Better Than Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

This term we at Her Campus have fallen for the listicle.

While we are still working on a punny HC take on “listicle” (“Her Breasticles” anyone?), our writers have been churning out lists from the best pubs in Bristol to products that cost more for women than men. In the spirit of our new found love affair, here’s 14 reasons why Pancake Day is infinitely better than Valentine’s Day.

Since the dawn of the internet, Pancake Day has been claiming a steady hold over the hearts of the nation – and further afield. It’s time to realise what truly gets our hearts all aflutter.

1. Pancakes have a purpose

Traditionally pancakes are made on Shrove Tuesday as a way of using up rich ingredients like eggs and milk before Lent. The origins of Valentine’s Day are varied; in ancient Rome the 14th February was a pagan fertility festival in which “young men would strip naked and use goat- or dog-skin whips to spank the backsides of young women in order to improve their fertility.”

(Photo Credit: Flickr/micheleeats)

2. Pancakes don’t break the bank

While they can taste indulgent, pancakes are an inexpensive treat. Yes, supermarkets may try some pancake specific marketing but the business of pancakes is nothing on the Valentine’s industry. Your classic lemon and sugar crepe is far more budget friendly than the teddies, chocolates, cards and jewellery your Valentine is hoping for.

(Photo Credit: Flickr/AbdulrahmanAl-Eissa)

3. Flour over flowers

This one is simple – you can’t eat flowers, you can eat a blueberry pancake.

(Photo Credit: Flickr/WalterEzell)

4. Feasting is acceptable

Also known as Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday), eating as many pancakes as possible is encouraged. Eating pancakes for every meal is also encouraged. I’m not sure scoffing the entire box of chocolates in front of your Valentine is as acceptable – this would depend on your level of #couplegoals.

(Photo Credit: Flickr/the10centdesigner)

5. Everyone can enjoy the pancakey feast

Friends, fam and lovers alike, everyone is invited to gorge themselves on pancakes. Cue battles to eat the most pancakes, flip the highest, stack the highest and add the most toppings. You’ll end up covered in flour, nutella and sugar with a belly full of pancake love.

(Photo Credit: Flickr/c00lmarie)

6. The pancake possibilities are endless

Bored of the same old commercial Valentine’s gifts? You’ll never tire of creating weird and wonderful new pancake creations. Think fruit faces, think Pinterest inspo, think nutella art. You are also more than welcome to make a pancake heart.

(Photo Credit: Flickr/lauralovely)

7. Banana pancakes

Made famous by Jack Johnson, then made healthy by Deliciously Ella, gluten free banana pancakes and sweet potato pancakes mean that even the fitness fanatics can get involved!

(Photo Credit: Flickr/Linda)

8. Because they’re really good with strawberries and cream

(Photo Credit: Flickr/Asma Aljaber)

9. And they’re also good with ice cream

(and sprinkles).

(Photo Credit: Flickr/JasonTing)

10. But they can be savoury

Mm eggy cheese.

(Photo Credit: Flickr/jean-marcluneau)

11. Really there’s nothing more exciting than a whole day of pancakes

Except maybe Christmas and birthdays.

(Photo Credit: Keystone Features/Getty Images)

12. They’re just flipping good

Princess Kate knows. 

(Photo Credit: Telegraph/Reuters)

13. People even race while flipping

In fancy dress no less!

(Photo credit: Time Out London)

14. And GUESS WHAT… This year Pancake Day joins forces with HC’s Galentine’s Day

In a power house of love and celebration outside of Valentine’s Day <3

(Photo Credit: hellogiggles.com)

ENJOY YOUR PANCAKES

– Ella XO

Ella is one of the two CC's for Her Campus Bristol. She is currently in her final year at the University of Bristol, reading English Literature. Ella loves buffets, art and fashion - she is hoping to make it as the next Anna Wintour. You can follow her on Twitter @ella_wills where she will mostly post mindless attempts at humour.