6 Great Pubs You Must Go To In Bristol

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

1. Bag O’ Nails, Hotwells

(Photo credit: Western Daily Press) 

The perfect place to spend an evening, the Bag O’ Nails is the ultimate relaxation combination: cats, board games, vinyl, and beer. While away the time with some feline friends.

2. Small Bar, City Centre

(Photo credit: Small Bar)

With cosy décor, local beers and a well-stocked upstairs library, Small Bar is a great place to chill out and widen your beery horizons. Situated on King Street, it’s also conveniently positioned as a place to grab a quick drink before seeing a show at Bristol Old Vic!

3. Highbury Vaults, St. Michael’s Hill

(Photo credit: Youngs)

It seems unlikely that there is a single student at Bristol University that hasn’t had a pint at the Highbury Vaults, but it’s such a good pub it still deserves inclusion. Its spacious beer garden (featuring outdoor heaters to rival the Caribbean sun) is a lively place for a pint, while inside you can play a game of pool or sit and wait for the model train to come trundling through the wall. It’s such a great pub you won’t even mind that the stairs to the loos really smell like piss.

4. The Apple, Welsh Back

(Photo credit: Bristol Bites)

You might think that a bar on a boat that specialises in cider is the most brilliant, Bristolian idea there’s ever been. Well, you’d be right. Well-known to first years living in City Centre accommodation and many students across Bristol, The Apple is home to some of the best (and cheapest!) ciders in Bristol and it’s well-loved status is exemplified in the determination of those drinking their halfs of Old Bristolian on the Quayside in the middle of winter. Amazing.

5. The Golden Lion, Gloucester Road

(Image credit: Time Out)

It’s a bit of a trek from the usual UOB student haunts to The Golden Lion, but oh boy is it worth it. The selection of drinks is good, but it’s not just the booze that makes The Golden Lion a worthy destination. The events listing boasts one of the most varied, eclectic selections of entertainment of any pub in Bristol. From Jazz to Spoken Word, it has it all. If you fancy showing off your musical knowledge there’s also the “Big Fat Music Quiz” on Mondays, featuring such amazing rounds as “Who wrote this terrible B-Side?”.

6. The Spotted Cow, Bedminster

(Photo credit: The Spotted Cow)

A firm favourite within the local community, The Spotted Cow combines its gorgeous suntrap walled garden with an extensive selection of drinks to create a little oasis in Bedminster. Stocking all manner of drinks, from cask and craft ales to an impressive selection of spirits, as well as some truly lush food, The Spotted Cow is definitely worth crossing the river for.

What are some of your favourite pubs in Bristol? Let us know on Facebook and on Twitter @HCBristol!

Elinor is a third year English student at the University of Bristol. She spends a lot of time reading (less than she should), watching television (the opposite), and performing improvised comedy across the city and beyond! 
Her Campus magazine