Editor’s Letter: Advent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

This week marked the start of advent which meant there was many a celebration to be had! Despite my advent calendar arriving a couple of days late due to my parents’ slight oversight, I am now enjoying waking up every morning to the delight of a “Peppa Pig” chocolate (don’t worry I was baffled by the choice as well). Another exciting event that happened this week was our final Her Campus social of the term where all editors and contributors joined together for a drink (or two…) to celebrate all the amazing content that’s been published so far. 

There have been a variety of interesting articles this week. I like to think that each article has been a daily treat just like our advent chocolate. Claire’s apple and blackberry loaf cake has inspired me to get my bake on, especially as it’s getting colder and going outside in the wind and rain is becoming much less appealing. On the theme of winter and Christmas, I also really enjoyed Jess’ interesting article on the big debate over Starbucks’ festive cups. Despite having my own reservations about Starbucks and their UK tax avoidance, I definitely agree with Jess that the new, plain red cups are by no means offensive and in fact promote a sense of inclusivity, which is ultimately what Christmas should be about.

Moving away from the Christmas theme but onto a very thought-provoking article nonetheless was Bethan’s column. “A Column of One’s Own” has provided regular entertainment and interest, show casing women past and present who promote equality, strength and individuality. This week she wrote about Lexxie Harford, exploring ideas of image and the strive for “perfection” in our society. I am really pleased that Bethan wrote about this, as this topic has certainly been a theme in the articles over the term. We all know that no one is exempt from being image conscious – it’s inherent in all of us. Yet, it makes me so upset that TV programmes named “Too Ugly For Love” actually exist in today’s society. It is laughable how ridiculous it is and it to be honest it shows nothing but backwardness. Bethan was definitely on the mark in highlighting this kind of obscenity that still exists today and her column was certainly a needed reminder of how caught up we can all get in the issues with the media and image. 

(Photo Credit: BBC)

Our resident music editor and reviewer Tash, wrote an insightful article about sexism and music, focusing on the recent problems of mosh pits turning into shameless groping sessions at gigs. Tash’s article was completely relevant to the student union’s “Reclaim the Night” march on Friday 20th, of which Eloise did Her Campus a brilliant write up. On the night, the honest speeches and poems shed light on the kind of behaviour that Tash wrote about – the prevalence of sexual violence towards women. It was an empowering yet shocking evening which reminded everyone of how much there still needs to be done to end this kind of violence and abuse against oppressed genders. Since attending the night and reading Tash’s article, I have been thinking a lot more this week about how there seems to be a massive and unjustified focus on a woman’s body in society today. I will put my hands up straight away and admit that I am an avid reader of the Daily Mail’s celeb and gossip column. Yet, as much as it provides great entertainment and the latest gossip on TOWIE and KUWTK, the articles and headlines themselves are obscenely sexist.

One which particularly stood out for me was the sheer irony of the article headline “Carey Mulligan showcases her post-baby figure in lilac dress at Suffragette premiere… as she admits nursing infant is ‘a challenge’.” Here is an incredibly talented, hard working actress, at the premiere of her new film which promotes the unsung Suffragette heroines who fought for the rights of women today, and yet all the Daily Mail can comment on is her figure and status as a mother. It’s completely ludicrous and what makes this even more worrying is that that article was written by a woman. I’m sorry Rachel McGrath, but can you tell me what this film about women’s rights has absolutely anything to do with the main actresses’ post – baby weight? More recently in the news was an article on the BBC about a model who was told to “slim down to the bone”by a top agency. Since then, Rosie Nelson (see photo above) has started a campaign on modelling and health issues which has received a lot of support. Both of these cases just prove how unnervingly obsessed the media is with women’s bodies. In light of this the articles on HC this week continue to provide powerful and interesting insights into the struggles of being a female in this society.

So there you have it, just a little summary of the advent – like treats that have been written this week. Why not have a read of some of them while you enjoy your daily chocolate and if you have any responses or article ideas then never hesitate to get in touch.

– Alex XO

Alex is one of the two CC's for Her Campus Bristol. She is passionate about creating an online magazine which is both funny and accessible but also political and controversial. Alex wants to encourage all writers to write the unwritten and not be afraid to voice all their opinions. She is a keen feminist and enjoys having Her Campus as a space for young women in Bristol to express their freedom on and off campus. xoxo