Wellness

Why you should start journalling – from someone who swears by it

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

In a small cupboard in the corner of my childhood bedroom sits a collection of journals dating back to as early as 2011. The pages upon pages of writing detail everything from friendship breakups and first dates, to what TV show I binge-watched in 2016. I always say that these diaries are my most valued possessions. I could get over losing expensive clothes or jewelry. But my journals? I’m not sure if I would recover from that. For me, journaling is an integral part of my life and I recommend it to anyone and everyone. If you are thinking of keeping a journal, here are what I think are some of its key benefits — as someone who swears by it.

1. It’s a safe place to vent and be vulnerable.

Journaling provides you a space to express your feelings in a space which is free of judgement. Venting is a natural and healthy way to process your emotions. If we ignore how we feel and choose to bottle up our emotions, we risk building up tension and stress inside our minds. By keeping a journal, you provide yourself with an outlet to express how you feel. There is something about putting your worries and dilemmas on paper which makes them seem a lot more manageable. You become more comfortable with your vulnerabilities, which also has a positive effect on the relationships in your life.

2. It helps you understand yourself.

Nowadays, with smartphones and social media, we spend a large portion of our day consuming media and less time just alone with our thoughts. If we’re going through a hard time, it’s easier than ever to distract ourselves from our problems. It’s getting increasingly hard to just sit down, away from a screen, and just think. I’ve found that the more often I journal, the more I learn to be honest with myself. You start to not only notice patterns in your behaviour and thoughts, but also notice what tends to make you anxious or happy. This has endless benefits, from enabling you to become kinder to yourself to feeling more confident with decision-making.

3. You will remember more of your life.

One of the best parts about keeping a journal is being able to look back on them later on. Little moments that seem mundane at the time become fascinating to look back on. During lockdown, I was face timing a long-time friend and we were reading through some old entries together. What surprised us both was that there were so many moments within them that neither of us remembered. If I had never kept a journal, these memories would have simply been lost to the passage of time.

4. It will make you more resilient.

Another benefit of having entries to look back on is that you remember how much you have been able to overcome. By reflecting on old entries, we gain so much more perspective on life. When we’re going through a hard time, it feels like things cannot possibly get better. But having a journal is like keeping written proof that you have gone through just as difficult times and you were able to get through them. 

So, if you’re thinking about starting a journal, this is your sign to go for it. Don’t worry about making it a work of literary merit, or making each page Pinterest-worthy — just start writing! The most important part is getting the words on paper. Your first entry can be about literally anything you want: whether it’s a film you watched recently or something you’re looking forward to. Once you’ve established the habit, I promise you’ll never look back.

Roya Shahidi

Bristol '24

I'm a History and Spanish student who loves traveling, languages, and reading!