Adjusting to the ‘New Normal’: How to adapt to the mixed studying of online and in person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

A natural sense of apprehension predates the start of every new term at university, with new modules, tutors and timetables bringing change all across campus each year. But due to the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic this year these changes have multiplied, and the norms of everyday study have altered dramatically. For many, those usual feelings of apprehension have developed into a deeper level of anxiety, as we’re asked to prepare for something no other year has ever faced; a ‘new normal’ of teaching that is online and in person. As no other generation has faced such a situation it is easy to feel like this ‘new normal’ is one which we must adapt to alone. And yet we shouldn’t face it as individuals. If students can work together and share tips on how to handle these academic changes, the ‘newness’ of it all may not be so daunting. With this in mind, I’ve listed a few ideas that you may find useful for the coming term. Of course, I’m yet to experience the reality of this ‘new normal’ myself and I’m sure it will take much trial and error to finally adjust – but hopefully those around me will help me do it.

1. Create a home space that you can both work and relax in

If like most you’re working from a desk in your bedroom, it’s really important that you don’t sacrifice having a space that makes you feel calm in order to have a space that makes you feel motivated to work. Instead, try to find a happy medium by altering something to indicate when it’s time to work and when it’s time to lounge – be it something as small as moving your desk to a new place in the room or even clearing your desk of everything but the work in hand. If you don’t have a desk and have to work from your bed, try moving your pillows to the wall perpendicular to the place where you sleep. Even a small change like this could help you make your bed more of a work-place.

2. Use in person seminars to your best advantage

If anything can come from this time, it may be that it teaches us to really appreciate seminars and on-campus study. If you are someone who doesn’t normally like to speak in classes, now is the time to change! With seminar time now a rarity, it’s more important than ever to try and interact with other students – both in terms of working and more generally to check up on each other.

3. Stay organised so the time you have in the library is used to the max

As you may already know, library hours have been limited to 10 hours a week per student. If you start your week with a plan of how you will utilise these hours and what work would be best done in the library, you’re likely to waste less of the precious time you have there getting yourself ready to start.

4. Plan your day so you don’t put off lectures

Following on from my previous point, you will get the most out of your time if you have a realistic plan for the day. If you’re like me and spend double the amount of time listening to seminars at home than you would listening to them in real time, planning ahead could help you achieve more in the day. Rather than putting off lectures till the end of the day, try making them first on your schedule so the task is done.

Essentialiving / Unsplash

Planning your study in advance is now more important than ever

5. Take productive breaks

By ‘productive’ I mean breaks in which you do something physical. For example, going for a short walk, tidying a room in your house, cooking a meal or making a nice drink. Try and avoid your phone as much as possible by doing an activity that takes you away from your desk and gives you time to really think. Such breaks will allow you to return to your work-space with renewed energy, having done something good for yourself.

6. Keep checking the Tab or Uni website to keep up to date with changes

This is perhaps the most important tip of all! The period of ‘new normal’ we are entering is fundamentally one of uncertainty, and as we’ve seen already things can change drastically day to day. By keeping up to date with changes to university policy, you can make changes to your personal study sooner rather than later.

Good luck and I hope you make the most of your year!

This article is part of a themed content week exploring ways to embrace new beginnings at the start of the new academic year.

Co-social media manager, currently studying English literature at Bristol University.
Her Campus magazine