9 Top Tips for Eating Healthily as a Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Healthy food can be expensive. Therefore, on a student budget, many freshers live on a diet of pot noodles and energy drinks. However, there are many tasty tricks to ditch the cheap junk food, and still eat healthily while not offending your student bank balance…

Tip number 1: Plan your meals in advance

This is of underestimated importance. Setting a weekly meal plan promotes healthy eating, as instead of making an impulse decision to get dominoes for dinner, you buy your food in advance with a particular menu in mind which will help you stick to a student budget and enjoy much more nutritious meals.

Tip number 2: Buy frozen fruit and vegetables

We can’t all afford to buy fresh every day; frozen alternatives pack the same nutrients at a lower price, and they last longer.

Tip number 3: Pad out your meals with vegetables

Using lots of vegetables in your meals is a sure-fire way to lower the calories and price of your meals. For example, add carrots, celery, mushrooms and whatever else you can find to your bolognaise, instead of just using meat.

Tip number 4: Try out meat alternatives

So this tip isn’t for everyone, but if you do enjoy the taste of meat alternatives, such as Quorn, this is a godsend! Quorn is cheaper and lower in saturated fats, yet still high in protein.

Tip number 5: Say no to drunk food

A quick trip to Donervan’s after a wild night in Bunker may seem like a good idea at the time, but this is bad for both your bank balance and your waistline. Instead, have something like toast when you get home to curb those late night cravings and save money.

Tip number 6: Swap supermarket sarnies for homemade alternatives

Supermarket sandwiches are not only full of salt, saturated fat, and calories but are ridiculously overpriced. If you buy a loaf of bread and a filling of your choice, this is a healthier, cheaper, and long-lasting alternative.

Tip number 7: Never buy grated cheese!

Pre-grated cheese contains many additives and preservatives to stop it clumping together AND costs up to 3 times as much as normal cheese!

Tip number 8: Invest in spices

This makes your food tastier, and will leave you far more satisfied, meaning you’re less likely to binge on high-fat, high-salt snacks.

Tip number 9: Make your own sauces

Pasta and curry sauces are seriously easy to make. They are also cheaper and you know exactly what has gone into them. So ditch the jar and opt for a fresh homemade alternative that would leave your mum smiling with pride.

Good luck with adjusing your student diet for a healthier and cheaper lifestyle!

Her Campus magazine