7 Fake Meats So Good They’re Almost Better Than the Real Thing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Everything that is listed below should be available in a relatively good sized Sainsbury’s, Waitrose, and Tesco’s.

1. Linda McCartney Country Pies

As you can tell, it’s getting bloody cold. It’s about time to eat those really stodgy, thick, filling meals. Sadly though, these usually consist of meat – especially when it comes to pies. However, we have been blessed with Linda McCartney Country Pies, which consist of a beef like filling. It tastes amazing and definitely fills the craving for a meaty pie. The only issue is that it can be difficult to cook all parts of the pie evenly, so be prepared for some raw pastry which let’s be honest, isn’t too terrible.  

2. Cauldron Sausages

If you haven’t tried these yet, you need to go out and buy some! I’ve never tasted anything that was so similar to meat despite not being made out of it. This has to be one of the best fake sausages, so perfect for those bangers and mash Sundays. 

3. Quorn Scotch Eggs

This is a more summery type of snack, but it’s also great for when you’re on the go and need a little something to pick you up. No it’s not vegan, but it’s perfect for you veggies. It doesn’t taste exactly similar to normal scotch eggs, but it’s still pretty addictive. 

4. Linda McCartney Shredded Hoisin Duck

Once again Linda McCartney blesses us with this incredible fake meat. It’s suitable for vegans, and trust me you need to buy this. It tastes pretty similar to normal shredded hoisin duck, and it’s delicious. You could put it in the typical thin wrap with spring onions, hoisin sauce, and cucumbers. Another option is to put it with some rice along with other vegetables and soy sauce. Whatever you do with it, it will taste beautiful. 

5. Vegetarian Meatballs

It doesn’t really matter too much where you get these veggie meatballs from. I’ve tried ASDA ones along with those from Sainsbury’s and they both taste pretty similar to normal meatballs. If you’re having it with tomato sauce and spaghetti it will feel as though you haven’t even gone vegetarian. 

6. Quorn mince

This is one that most vegetarians will have tried, however if you are starting off, you should definitely purchase a bag of this. It’s not exactly the same as normal mince but pretty close. It’s perfect for a vegetarian spaghetti bolognese or chilli. 

7. Quorn chicken nuggets

There’s quite a debate about this packet of fake chicken nuggets, but personally I love them. I reckon the longer you’ve gone without McDonalds Chicken Nuggets, the more you will want to eat something that’s similar to them when you’re veggie. Make sure that when you take them out the oven, they are crispy at the top, dunk them in some ketchup or any sauce you prefer, and your craving should just about be satisfied. 

Zoe Thompson

Bristol '18

President of Her Campus Bristol.