5 Amazing Walks to go on in Bristol

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Whether it’s essay season getting you down or simply the drudgery of being inside all day, sometimes you just need to get out and clear your head. In Bristol there are no shortage of beautiful routes to take to explore the city’s scenery and surrounding countryside, so why not try some out next time the weather turns sunny! 

Click the links in each title to view a PDF with route information and more!

1. Plaques of Central Bristol, starting at St. Michael’s Hill

(Image credit: Bristol Ramblers)

Starting conveniently close to the University precinct – and even going through it at times! – this route will allow you to immerse yourself in the “Blue Plaque” history of the city without straying too far afield! At 2 miles long, it’s the perfect walk to slot in between study sessions.

2. Gas Lamps and Cut-Throats Walk, starting at St. Werbugh’s Church

(Image credit: Bristol Ramblers)

Ever been out to Stapleton? Or St. Werbughs? Chances are, unless you lived in Northwell House as a Fresher or you’ve moved to Stokes Croft since, you haven’t. This walk is a bit longer, at 5 miles, but passes plenty of pubs to stop at, and will show you a side of Bristol you’ve never seen before, with a chance to enjoy some lush scenery along the edge of Eastville Park and a Nature Reserve! Plus, who doesn’t love hearing about a place’s murky past? A murder committed, and then solved by the victim daubing “My fiancé did it!” on a wall before she died? Gross! (It is possible to enjoy this walk without knowing “grisly details”, of course!)

3. Durdham Down Walk, with starting points at the Water Tower, and Sea Mills station

(Image credit: Bristol Ramblers)

If you often find yourself ambling on the Downs, then this walk is a great opportunity to push yourself a little further, whilst still seeing the Classic Sights. Take in the panoramic view of the Portway from the top of the Gorge, and wander beyond the borders of the Stoke Bishop halls, in a lovely 5 mile amble. 

4. Bedminster and Southville, starting at Bedminster Library

(Image credit: Bristol Ramblers)

My personal favourite, this walk is brilliant for a first foray into the land that lies ‘south of the river’. Coming in at around 5 or 6 miles, this walk has a great mix of urban exploration, and scenic beauty. I’d recommend pausing at the ASDA on East Street or the Aldi by Greville Smyth Park and picking up ingredients for a picnic! On a sunny day, Southville is incredible, get exploring! 

5. Montpelier to Purdown, starting at Montpelier station

(Image credit: Bristol Ramblers)

Another walk that goes a little further afield, the beginning of this walk is a great excuse to explore Stokes Croft and the surrounding area, or you could just get the train from Clifton Down/Redland and get going! On this walk you’ll get to see some beautiful wildlife, and also find out exactly where one of the UWE campuses are, being so far-flung! To get back, you can either retrace your steps, (stretching the walk from 6 miles to 12!) or get a bus or train. 

This is only a taster of some of the brilliant walks put together by the Bristol Ramblers. Click here to see more! 

(Article image credit: National Trust)

Elinor is a third year English student at the University of Bristol. She spends a lot of time reading (less than she should), watching television (the opposite), and performing improvised comedy across the city and beyond! 
Her Campus magazine