4 Great Environmentally-Friendly Food Shops Near Uni

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

In keeping with our environment week theme, we thought we’d compile a list of shops that can help you fulfil your desire to shop local, without dragging you out to the countryside! 

1. Earthbound

Located on Cotham Hill this shop has an amazing range of fresh produce ranging from fruit and veg, cheese, freshly baked bread and other staples. 90% of its products are organic and it also has an amazing range of more exotic and traditional food. A lot of the food is locally made making this a staple for more environmentally savvy Bristolians. 

(Photo credit: Bristol Pound)

2. Ruby and White Butchers

Most people will know the Cowshed as a staple restaurant to take your parents when they come to visit, but less well-know to students is their amazing shop which sells local meats and cheeses. During the summer they have a grill outside which sells amazing, freshly cooked burgers and hot dogs: utter bliss! Not only is the food delicious but is local, free range and organic. It is a bit pricier, but the better quality of, and environmental peace of mind generated by buying their products makes it feel like a bargain! 

(Photo credit: Ruby and White)

3. Wild Oats

This shop up in Redland has an extensive range of organic and whole food. They have a very sustainable ethos so that their food is not only nutritious but also as environmentally friendly as possible. They also have great ties with the local community and their producers, promoting sustainable and organic living for all. Also, their baked goods are to die for! 

(Photo credit: Wild Oats)

4. Better Food Company

With stores in St. Werbughs and on Whiteladies Road, this greengrocers makes you feel like you are in a country village. Not only does it have a great deli with cured meats and cheeses, it also stocks a great selection of ales and ciders! Their customer promise states that they will always endeavour to have the best range of organic produce at a fair price, and I would say that they definitely fulfill that promise.  

(Photo credit: Better Food Co.) 

Her Campus magazine