3 Obscure Yet Healthy Teas You Should Consider Trying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.
  1. Matcha Tea

(Photo Credit: http://www.truelemon.com/blog/meet-matcha-the-queen-of-green-tea

Matcha tea, a specific form of green tea originating from China, has been gaining increasing popularity in our culture today as awareness has grown of its extraordinary health benefits.

Why matcha tea is so good for you…

A single cup of matcha tea contains 137 times the antioxidants that a regular cup of green tea does, and this is simply because of its specific production process.

According to Zen Green Tea specialists, “in the final months before harvest the green tea plantations are shaded to skyrocket the level of chlorophyll within the tea. The best leaves are then handpicked and stone ground into a fine powder. With matcha you are consuming the whole tea leaf dissolved in water”. Source: http://zengreentea.com.au/what-is-matcha/.

Another researcher states that when we brew ordinary green tea, we extract only a fraction of green teas benefits, as “the majority actually remains unused, trapped in the tea leaves. In reality, the only way to truly take advantage of green teas full potential is to consume the entire leaf. The simplest solution is to just enjoy a bowl of matcha”.

As a result, drinking matcha tea has a huge amount of health benefits, including:

• Cancer prevention
  • Boosting immunity against other diseases and infections
  • Aiding concentration and focus
  • Boosting metabolism
  • Slowing down the body’s natural aging process.

How to make it…

Matcha tea is hard to find in the UK, as it is only stocked in a few supermarkets and at a high price.

However, those convinced of the benefits of incorporating matcha into their lifestyle can easily purchase it online at a much more reasonable rate, for example from the following online specialists who offer a 60 cup supply for just £15!

The way you can tell if your tea is of high quality is by its colour (it should be a vibrant green) and its texture (the powder should be fine and dissolve in water to make a smooth and silky tea).

For a standard cup, simply:

• Add a 1/4 teaspoon of matcha powder to a mug.
  • Add a small amount of (nearly boiling) water to the powder and mix well into a smooth paste.
  • Fill up the cup with the water, mixing well to ensure it is properly combined.

Enjoy its delicious vegetal flavour and reap in the antioxidants!

1. Ginger Tea

(Photo Credit: http://www.baltimorehealthcoach.com/ginger-tea-recipe/)

Ginger, alongside it’s aromatic and spicy flavours, has long been used in tea for its numerable health benefits.

Why ginger tea is so good for you…

According to researchers, it is the active components of the ginger root, namely volatile oils and pungent phenol compounds, such as gingerols and shogaols, which give it such medicinal power.

Ginger tea contains high levels of vitamin C and amino acids, as well as various trace elements such as calcium, zinc, sodium, phosphorus, and many others.

Drinking ginger tea is recommended for:

• Common cold and flu-like symptoms, specifically blocked sinuses and headaches
  • Relieving menstrual pains
  • Aiding circulation and digestion
  • Alleviating nausea and stomach pains.

How to make it…

Boiling ginger in water before drinking is the best way to make the tea, as the longer you leave it in the simmering water the more nutrients will be absorbed from the root into the tea itself.

To make a standard cup:

• Finely chop a 3cm cube of ginger.
  • Place in a pan with 350ml of boiling water.
  • Leave to simmer for 15 minutes until you see the colour of the water change to a deep golden orange.
  • Strain into a mug, adding honey and lemon if you wish.

This is amazing simply as a winter warmer, but it’s also great for reviving anyone feeling under the weather.

1. Turmeric Tea

(Photo Credit: http://www.meghantelpner.com/blog/tea-time-with-turmeric/)

Making tea from turmeric may seem like a strange concept, yet its combination with the right spices can lead to a tasty and remedying drink.

Why turmeric tea is good for you…

Turmeric’s main active ingredient is Curcumin, which is a natural anti-inflammatory compound and a powerful antioxidant.

Health benefits of consuming turmeric include:

• Improving brain function
  • Aiding with depression
  • Reducing risk of several age-related diseases.

How to make turmeric tea…

Making tea with turmeric is most tasty when a hint of sweetness is added, as this works perfectly with it’s bold, earthy and slightly spicy flavour.

To make a standard cup:

• Pour 350ml of milk (almond milk works particularly well for this recipe) into a pan.
  • Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon of either maple syrup or honey.
  • Bring to the boil and simmer for around 10 minutes, whisking to ensure the ingredients are combined.
  • Finish with a pinch of black pepper and some grated fresh ginger.

Turmeric tea is not only a warm and comforting drink with a delicious flavour, but it is also one of the most effective ways of consuming this health-boosting ingredient.

So if you’re feeling under the weather this winter, or you think your immune system could simply do with a boost, then why not try one of these slightly unusual teas. You might not have known that tubers, roots and leaves like these could contain such amazing medicinal qualities, yet they are out there waiting to be consumed in everyone’s favourite kind of warm and comforting drink.

Her Campus magazine