This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brighton chapter.

As a tease to her new and highly anticipated album Endless Summer Vacation, the icon that is Miley Cyrus blessed us fans with her latest single Flowers.

Since its release, the anthem has racked up over 30 million streams on Spotify (and counting), which according to ABC Audio has earned Miley her biggest streaming debut.

Released on January 13th, Flowers sparked some fans to theorise the message behind the repeat worthy song. Firstly, the song was released on Liam Hemsworth’s birthday who is Miley’s ex husband. The couple split in 2019 after eight months of marriage but have had an openly on-and-off relationship for the greater most of a decade. Once hearing the lyrics, it is clear that they interpolates with Bruno Mars When I Was Your Man. Many fans and outlets have expressed that this song was once dedicated to Miley from Liam. Although these claims are just fan speculations, there is a perfect correlation to the Bruno Mars Lyrics ‘I should have bought you flowers, and held your hand‘ to Miley’s lyrics ‘I can buy myself flowers… and I can hold my own hand’.

Floating GIF by Miley Cyrus - Find & Share on GIPHY
Miley Cyrus, Endless Summer Vacation via Giphy

Another theory that fans are reaching for with the release of Flowers, is the suit that Miley is filmed wearing during the music video. Of course, it is not the exact identical suit but many have speculated that it bears reference to the suit Liam wore on the Avengers: Endgame premiere red carpet in 2019. This was the same red carpet where the viral video clip emerged of Liam telling Miley “Could you behave for once?”

Lastly, another Easter egg fans have spotted in Flowers, again relates to the lyrics which further suggest its aimed at Liam Hemsworth.

We were right ’til we weren’t, built a home and watched it burn’ has caused fans to question whether this song is directed at Liam. It would be at no surprise considering Cyrus and Hemsworth’s Malibu home burned down in the 2018 wildfires.

Despite all the potential hidden Easter eggs and constant TikTok response videos to her single, neither Miley or Liam have spoke about whether these theories have any validity behind them. Nonetheless, her teaser single has definatly served its purpose in making fans worldwide excited for the albums release.

milly struthers

Brighton '23

I am a female van traveller with the desire to explore the world and interact with a range of people and engulf myself in new cultures. Reflecting shared female and queer issues across all race and ethnicities within my articles Creating a safe and open space in my writing where individuals can relate or emphasis with what is being written and most importantly feel connected and that their not alone in their experiences.