This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brighton chapter.

The morning, winter sun bounces from my window to my mirror, and a slither of light creates its path through my chilly bedroom. I unwillingly drag my body out of bed, the toughest challenge I have to face today. A shiver brushes over me. My blanket wrapped around me, I scurry to the bathroom, and I sit, I sit a bit longer than usual because it is surprisingly warm in here. I stand, I scurry back to my bedroom, sip some ice cold water which has cooled over night, and stare blankly at my wardrobe, uninspired. All whilst wrapped in my Christmas blanket, from Primark. 

This is usually how my winter mornings end up, followed by a quick slice of toast and a walk to uni through the ice-filled air.

So what can we do to ensure we feel good and still enjoy these days, or to change up the routine and add something new to these long hours?

I don’t know about you, but my favourite thing to do in winter is grab a really really chocolatey, hot chocolate, put on my cosiest of clothes, (usually about 3 tops, a hoodie, pink fluffy socks, a scarf which usually transforms into a blanket at some point in the day, and a puffer coat here in the UK), put on my ‘xmas playlist’ on Spotify (Sabrina Carpenters new EP ‘fruitcake’ is a growing addiction) and take myself for a walk through the Christmas lights, in the lanes of Brighton. The joy this brings me is uncanny, and the Christmas feels are unmatched. If you want the true Poppy Williams Christmas experience, do this when it is getting dark, about 6pm, as the lights replace the stars and the glow lights up passing peoples faces. Paul McCartney serenading yourself, as you immerse your mind into your own winter wonderland. 

I know, I know, the weather in England isn’t always on our side, so perhaps it’s raining, it’s grey and gloomy outside and you are stuck indoors, and it’s the end of the world! 

Personally when it feels like the weather is building up to a tragic, pathetic fallacy accompanied nightmare in my head, I enjoy nothing more than a cosy pamper evening. Cliche I know. 

Sometimes for my mind, and my skin which slowly cracks under the winds of winter, I like to indulge in some sort of skin care olympics. I also have no shame in admitting, I do (at times), watch those Vogue Skin Care videos, of an absolutely breathtaking, flawless model brush some £700 moisturiser onto her royal skin, in her 13 step routine. Although, a quick warning, sometimes these videos may, just make you feel worse, and yes, there has been times where regret has crossed my mind post-watch, so watch at your own risk! 

This aside, I thoroughly enjoy a face steam (shoving my face over my kettle), smothering my face in a face mask (probably a few months too old, and stings like a bitch),  and then finishing with a splash of water (boiling hot or freezing cold as my uni taps are bipolar) and lathering on my moisturiser, as well as too much lip balm. It is really very refreshing, and I always feel like a rich adult afterwards. 

When the Christmas shopping and rush to get home after work, to enjoy the festivities, gets a bit overwhelming, what’s better than going home to a cosy night in with a Christmas film. 

Seriously, what beats a Christmas film, tucked under a blanket, hot water bottle in hand, pjs on, surrounded by all the chocolate you could ask for and a lovely beverage of choice.

The comfort and reassurance is the best thing I could ask for, when I need a moment of distraction. 

My suggestions would be The Holiday for a bit of romance, if you are like my friend Evie, you may have a slightly odd obsession with The Grinch (no judgement, just admiration here) or if you are craving a belly laugh, The Nativity (any of the 3) is my go-to, it never fails. What more could you want than a load of adorable school children, singing their hearts out, and riding donkeys. 

In all seriousness, make sure you take time this Winter to take care of your mind and body and look out for those around you. It can be tough out here these days. The darkness can sometimes infect us, and we cannot let it. Dedicate time to relax, unwind, read a book, talk to your family, pick up a new hobby, make your younger self happy. Enjoy the festivities which surround us, and let yourself breathe.  

Give back to those who need it if you can. 

P .  x

poppy williams

Brighton '26

Hey! I am 20 years old and currently studying Fashion Communications with Business Studies at Brighton University. I take interests in fashion, dancing, music and writing pieces using my experiences to help others. I think connection and community is vital to living a happy, full life, and I believe that writing and creating a community like this one is so necessary to stay 'in the loop' and to feel part of something. Throughout my writing pieces I will produce poetry, give advice, fashion reviews and more. I hope you enjoy <3