This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brighton chapter.

October as most of us know is Breast Cancer Awareness month. I have been very lucky so far in life to have had no direct relation to breast cancer, however I have always been aware of it’s severity. Currently in the UK 1 in 7 women will get breast cancer in their lifetime. That’s almost three quarters of the female population.

Breast Cancer Now have been supporting women for over 50 years, and have raised over £66 million. They offer support and information as well as organising many different events to generate support and rise money for vital research.

It is SO important for all women to be aware of their breast health, and to understand the signs and symptoms of breast cancer, as many currently do not. The signs and symptoms are:

• A lump or swelling in the breast, upper armpit or chest area. The lump may be felt but not seen!
  • A change in skin texture e.g. puckering or dimpling of the skin
  • A change in size, shape or colour of the breast – breast may appear red or inflamed
  • A rash, crusting or changes to nipple
  • Unusual discharge from either nipple

(All information sourced from the official Breast Cancer Now website)

This year I have decided to take on the Breast Cancer challenge by walking 100 miles in October. I will be tracking my daily step count and miles covered, with the goal of reaching 100 miles by the end of the month. Millions of survivors and supporters around the country are taking on this challenge, to raise as much money and awareness of this horrible disease as we can!

I have recently loved walking and started upping my daily step count over the last few years, so I thought this would be the perfect way to do something I enjoy, for a really important cause. 

I may talk further in a future article, but I actually have Fibromyalgia. This is a chronic disorder characterised by widespread pain. As well as many other symptoms including, fatigue, insomnia, and muscle stiffness. Since being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, I have found walking to be something that has been very beneficial to me, both physically and mentally. When I’m having a particularly bad day with pains, walking is a gentle exercise that allows me to keep moving, but not over exert myself. The motion of walking is also beneficial to Fibromyalgia sufferers, as it keeps the blood circulating around the body, this can help with the numbness that some people find they get a lot.

I recommend taking up walking to anyone who wants to clear their mind, get some gentle exercise into their day, or just to explore the beautiful surroundings.  It’s such a great way to escape, and specifically for out local readers, the Sussex coastline and country side has so much to offer that can be explore through various walking routes. 

For now wish me luck… I will be sure to update you all at the end of October, when I would have hopefully completed my target.

Leila Dawes

Brighton '26

Hi there, I’m Leila :) I’m the social media exec, I’m a Fashion Communications and Business Studies student at the University of Brighton.