Zeta Tau Alpha Thinks Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

We know the month of October for its spooky and creepy holiday, Halloween. People also dedicate the month to honoring the strong people that have faced or are facing the battles of breast cancer. It is often hyped during the month of October, but it’s important to know that there are real people in the world not only battling it in October but every day of their lives. The student organizations and sororities at Brenau show their support in various ways, setting an example for the rest of the students to “Think Pink” regardless of the month.

One sorority in particular, the Omicron Chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha, takes the extra mile to spread awareness about Breast Cancer. The ladies in this chapter dedicate their time to walk around campus and put up pink ribbons everywhere so they are easy to read.

*** One of many of ZTA’s Breast Cancer Awareness ribbons. These ribbons are all over Brenau’s campus, and some even have important facts about breast cancer. 

They call this “Pinking out the Campus.” According to president of the Brenau’s ZTA chapter, Jennifer McCarthy, The goal of “pinking” out the campus is to raise awareness. “On these ribbons,” said Jennifer, “we post statistics about Breast Cancer and ways to lower your risk of contracting Breast Cancer.

“As most people know there is no cure to breast cancer. Our goal as a chapter is one, raise money for our philanthropy, which goes to help fund research for a cure and secondly, raise awareness!  98% of women survive with early detection of breast cancer, and that is all from raising awareness.”

ZTA has a Pink Week where they do several things on top of hanging the awareness ribbons. They sell cupcakes, personally give ribbons to students at athletic events and the on campus Zumba session, and set up a table in the foyer of the cafeteria with a chain of survivors. At this table, they provide paper slips for those who come to the table so they can write loved ones who have been affected by Breast Cancer. The ZTA believe that being ignorant to the symptoms and risks of Breast Cancer is not good. Just by learning about the disease gives you or someone you love a fighting chance of survival.

The ladies of ZTA are not the only organization that raises awareness around campus, but they certainly stand out to the students. They continue to encourage everyone to think pink, help raise awareness, and fight for the cure. 

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!