What it’s like to be NPHC at Brenau

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

Brenau University’s NPHC members at “Meet NPHC,” an event held to learn more about NPHC sororities at Brenau.

Pledging any National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) organization, for any member, is one of the biggest successes we have to show for ourselves from our four long years spent working towards the coveted diploma. This feeling of triumph and knowing that you have finally crossed into the lifelong membership of your preference with people you have now established an unbreakable bond is indescribable, and as a new member you are itching for the chance to show your campus who you have now become.

Whether through countless events, yard shows or just wearing your letters around campus, being in NPHC at Brenau University is a full time job. One that mostly requires serving your campus community with your event efforts, but also educating your fellow students on the proper etiquette of NPHC life.

So, if you really want to know what it is like to be NPHC at Brenau University, here are the Top Five things you need to know:

5. NPHC has more organizations than what you see on Brenau’s campus.

Our council is made up of the Divine Nine historically Black Greek Letter Organizations (BGLO’s). These organizations include: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated; Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated; Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated; Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Incorporated; Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Incorporated; Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Incorporated; Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Incorporated; and Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Incorporated.

4. Not all members of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.  hate each other.

This is a common misconception. Most people think that in order to be a part of one organization, it is imperative that you hate the other. Well this could not be any further from the truth, especially on Brenau’s campus. Now I cannot speak for other chapters, but Rho Eta and Tau Eta have a deep friendship and love of each other that has been established through many long years of friendships between the two chapters’ members.

3. We do not mock other organizations so please, do not mock us.

To be a part of any NPHC organization takes hard work and dedication. When you see us do our calls or hold up hand signs, it is how we show love and support of one another. Yet it is also a significant attribute signifying our rights of passage into our organization. It is widely known throughout the various NPHC organizations that it is disrespectful to imitate another organization’s hand gestures or sounds – so we expect the same curtesy to translate into the National Panhellenic Conference members and the rest of Brenau’s community.

2. We do not discriminate.

Even though our founders may have originally established these illustrious organizations with the intent to advance educated children of color, we recognize that we can use our organizations’ platforms to uplift and advance anyone despite color. Our organizations DO NOT allow color or stereotypes to dictate or influence in any way when looking to gain potential members.

1. Strolling and stepping is far more than JUST entertainment.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT expect us to stroll every time you hear popular culture songs on campus. At some point, throughout our many active years at Brenau, strolling and stepping have turned into a form of entertainment for the student body that is sometimes imitated by non NPHC members. When not performed by the appropriate organizations like the NPHC council or Brenau University Step Team, this behavior is offensive. NPHC recognizes majority of the student body is not aware that strolling and stepping derived during slavery, and were used as methods of communication amongst the slaves. So, whenever we are seen strolling or stepping around campus – yes, it looks like fun – but we are not strolling and stepping just for entertainment. We are communicating the love of our sorority and appreciation for the legacy we have become a part of through body language.

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!