The Selfie Obsessed Generation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

Every morning, after applying make up, spending hours on my hair, debating with my curls to stay to one side and to please not fizz today. I step back and look at the changes I made to my face. I grab my phone and put my phone with it’s back to the window then I flip the camera so I can prepare to take my selfie. It takes me about 30 times of changing facial expirations, deciding if I should smile or not smile, before I come to the conclusion that this is to much work and the world doesn’t need to see my face anyway. But yet I start my mornings doing the same thing every time.

In our generation we can’t go a day without taking a selfie. We spend hours on hair and even more on make up, paint our faces with a smile, and stare at our phones looking at self. We then upgraded to covering our faces with filters of dogs or a haul and we forget that the day is passing by. Now I can not say that I am not a victim of getting pulled into the selfie tornado but I am learning that every time I go out people are so concerned at looking at themselves, that they do not take the time to look up and see someone else or to take pride in the moment and enjoy it!

Have you ever noticed when you go a concert, almost every single person is standing up with their phones in front of there faces? And do you know why? Because later that night they will stay up late editing and posting their amazing night onto Instagram or Twitter when they could have enjoyed the actually concert in person. It’s almost like our phones are enjoying the view more than we are. We are always trying to capture every moment trying to battle with other people who has the most fun in college, who has the cutest relationship, or who ate the best meal, when we should just step back and inhale the moment that is in front of us.

I would like to challenge you guys. Next time you go out with your friends or go to a concert, leave your phone at home. Don’t take any pictures or videos. Just live in the moment. Live in your natural self. Without taking a selfie admire yourself. Selfies will not take over ourselves we control the moment and we will stand in the moment!

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!