stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Red Alert: Your Heart May Be in Danger!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

February is American Heart Month. It is a month that provides WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease the opportunity to spread the message about heart disease in women.

Heart disease affects more than 6 million American women, and over 5 times that number of women are at risk for developing heart disease. It is the number one killer of women and is responsible for 1 in 3 deaths in women annually.

American Heart Month is a great time to partner with WomenHeart to help reduce the disproportionate toll of heart disease in women. Throughout February, join celebrity talk show host Wendy Williams, Burlington Stores and WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease in taking the #HealthyHeartSelfie Challenge! Watch for the #HealthyHeartSelfie tips every day of the month, snap a selfie of how you are using the tips, or simply show them what heart health means to you with a picture! For every photo posted with #HealthyHeartSelfie, Burlington Stores will donate $1 to WomenHeart!

There are also more social media opportunities such as following the #29DaysofHeart social media campaign on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. In honor of African-American History Month and American Heart Month, every day in February Women Heart will issue a Tweet, Instagram post and Facebook post spotlighting a famous African-American woman who has made a significant contribution in the field of women’s heart health.

Join the movement by wearing red on Friday every week this month to share your support. Don’t forget to post to social media and add the hashtags for Women Heart as well as Her Campus Brenau. #29DaysOfHeart #HerCampusBrenau

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!