rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

#NEDAwareness: Know the Signs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

In this day and age eating disorders are very common with over 25 million Americans suffering from an eating disorder. Social media, television, and magazines give this image for women to reach that is impossible. But it is hard to see that those images are fake and that girl posing in the magazine has been altered to look like that. So to reach to that perfect body, some girls turn to the toilet to make themselves thinner and some stop eating. This week is National Eating Disorder Week. This week is to spread awareness about eating disorder and help girls see the signs to help a friend. Here are a few signs that your friend might be suffering from an eating disorder:

1) Rapid Changes in Weight

This is more common with women suffering from anorexia nervosa. Anorexia nervosa is when a person denies their hunger even though they are extremely hungry. They will feel fat even if they are thin. They will turn to other activities to occupied themselves. Doing this can lead to death. 

2) Uses the bathroom frequently after meals

This is common with women who suffer from Bulimia nervosa. Bulimia nervosa is when a person eats a lot of food and purges it shortly after. People with bulimia nervosa turn to diuretics, laxatives, and emetics to help them get rid of what they’ve consumes.. This is very dangerous to the body because it can easily lead to dehydration and electrolyte imablances which can be fatal.

3) Looses hair or hair starts to thin

This is also common sign of anorexia nervosa. Because the person is not getting the proper nutrients that they need, it will cause extreme hair loss. Fine, soft hair called lanugo can also develop on the body. It grows to keep the body warm when fat reserves run low.

5) Starts to wear big or baggy clothes

Most people who have a eating disorder do not want people to notice the weight that they have lost, so they hide under baggy clothes.

Did you know approximately 13.5% of athletes suffer from an eating disorder? 

4) Has depressive moods or mood swings 

This is common in either disorder. They will feel like they aren’t good enough and dismissive themselves from the social events.

This are just a few signs but If you see any of these signs in a friend please tell a counselor, a parent and get some help this can save your friend . #NEDAwareness 

For information on eating disorders, visit the NEDA website. 

Information on binge eating disorder (BED) 

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!