This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

Do you ever get so stressed that you need sleep to help you clear your mind and unwind? Nights where you don’t or can’t sleep? You may ask why sleep when there’s so much to do? Sleep is when your muscles are relaxed and your consciousness is practically off. So here are some of my tips to help you out when you can’t get the rest you want.

Sleep is such a great thing that we don’t always have time for. My first-year experience peer assistant told me that we should schedule naps, and is one of the best ideas I was given. We all have those days where we want to keep studying and we stay up. However, that affects our mood the next day. It’s a cycle that results in us being more tired in the end. Something I do is, no matter the topic if I don’t get it done by a certain time I will just stop and go to sleep. I then set aside time to get it done in the morning. That’s how I get to sleep when it comes to having work.

Other nights, I just turn off my lights and drift off. If not, I turn on my air so that my room can get cool, put a tropical berry scent candle melt on, so that I’ll go to sleep faster. With finals approaching it is important to make sure you are getting all the sleep you can. Others things you can do is turning on some music, distracting yourself for 10 minutes, doing yoga before bed and imaging scenarios. I’ve made found a routine that works for me and I always get the sleep I need. You have to find a routine that works for you. No matter what technique you use, getting sleep essential to being successful as you can be!

Junior, Mass Communication major with a concentration in Entertainment Management. Campus Corespondent and Campus Trendsetter for HC Brenau.