This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

This past Thursday, March 16th, Brenau University’s Mass Communication Department held it’s first ever Mass Communication Day, or Media Day as it has been later referred as. The department greeted over 100 teenagers from 5 local high schools and gave the students a grand welcome!

The department also welcomed two guest speakers to talk to the high schoolers about the mass communication industry, Chesley McNeil, a meteorologist from 11Alive and Q100s Adam Bomb from The Adam Bomb Show.  The students also toured the Mass Communication department’s facilities, including the TV Station and our very own 89.1 WBCX, while getting some hands on experience behind the equipment.

“It was an amazing opportunity to get fresh new faces into the Jacobs building; we typically see the same people everyday,” sophomore Mass Communications major, Sommer Stockton jokingly says. Sommer is the Student Station Manager at 89.1 WBCX. “It is great to finally push our department to the forefront of Brenau. Most students don’t even realise that Brenau has a radio station, much less that you are able to physically work in the studios. To be able to invite students into our studios and show what we know was a blast and I hope Brenau and Dr. Clay decides to do this again next year.”

Sommer Stockton is a sophomore at Brenau University and is majoring in Mass Communications. She believes she is the biggest Harry Potter fan of all time and loves to travel to new places. She loves chicken nuggets, frozen cokes and squirrels. Sommer is a proud Slytherin at heart.
My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!