If You Had to Make the Choice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

We have all made bad choices in our lives. Some may be bigger than others. When you were 5, they were such simple, little mistakes. It was easy to swipe the broken vase under the carpet, but then you got older and those broken vases turned into getting a boyfriend and your first real boyfriend got a little serious. We have all been there and we have all made bad decisions. Ann Gainey is the executive director of Choices Pregnancy Care Center, located only a few blocks away from Brenau University. It is virtually walking distance. As Gainey stated, “Choices is a place where people can go when they are going through tough times”. To describe it, she uses a metaphor that she utilizes when she talks to middle schools about what Choices is. She describes Choices as if it is an ambulance at the bottom of a cliff. You knew not to jump and there was a fence and people around you telling you not to jump, but you jump anyway, just to see for yourself. Luckily, Choices is at the bottom to catch you and to help you with the decision that you made.

If you feel like you are alone, struggling in a never-ending battle, whether it is with post-abortion feelings or you feel like you may be pregnant and you do not know where to go from there, Choices is here right by your side. With their 24-hour hotline, you have a friend to listen to you and point you in the right direction day and night.

Choices has been open for 30 years and they have well experienced doctors and therapists who are ready to help single mothers, pregnant college students, and anyone who needs a hand. They offer free pregnancy tests, ultrasounds, and My Baby Count, which is when mothers and fathers watch videos and read books dealing with child care. In return, participants earn monopoly money that they can use to shop with in Choice’s Baby Boutique, where they can buy everything from diapers to strollers. They also offer support groups, Courage me groups for single mothers, and post-abortion groups. They are also expanding their medical services so they can help the community out even more!

Gainey stated that Choices is “un-shockable”. You can walk in and tell them your story, and it would be nothing they haven’t heard before. They open their arms with a smile, so happy that with all of the choices out there you chose Choices, where you can get a second opinion from people who have been through the same thing as you. When you first walk into Choices, you automatically get a “home sweet home” feeling. Every room is set up with comfy chairs and pillows, adding to the warm vibe that is already in the air. If you do not believe me, you might need to just go check it out for yourself. Choices can always use a helping hand. This is a nonprofit organization, so whether you are helping set up the baby boutique or cleaning up the rooms, you will be giving back to the community. Choices has so much to offer, not only to Brenau University but to the whole Gainesville community, and with their new location that they just opened, they are now able to help people in need from all over. If you need someone to talk to, need a check up, or would just like to come in and say hello, make the right choice and choose Choices.

For more information, you can contact Choices through their website: http://www.choicespregnancy.org/contact/

Also, here is their 24-hour helpline: 770-535-1245

Choices’ address is: 434 Green Street Place
Gainesville, GA 30501

Choices’ hours: Monday-Thursday from 9am-4pm 

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!