books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

HerCampus Survival Kit!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

This week, HerCampus at Brenau was gifted with some really amazing products and were asked to give them a try. As a college woman, I love the idea of getting to try before I buy, and these products gave me a great opportunity to reach out of my normal product zone and try new things I may not have been exposed to before! I’m happy to share my feelings about all of these cool new things with you so we can learn together. Let’s get started!

Freeman Beauty Masks

If you’re like me, I’m a sucker for a good face mask. I have fairly reasonable skin, but I like any opportunity to make my skin smooth. These face masks are easy to apply and vary from scrubs and peel-offs to regular ‘ole clay masks. They’re made with natural ingredients and are not tested on animals, which are things I really value when considering what goes on or into my body! After some research, I discovered they are also sold at Ulta, which is right down the road from Brenau. So, easy to use, easy to find!

Rimmel London Makeup

Ah! Rimmel provided my favorite makeup products: mascara, eyeliner, and lipstick! I’m a big dramatic eye, dramatic lip kind of girl so I was so happy with these products! The mascara is a 24 hour product (which I love because I rub my eyes a lot and am always running around) Super Curler type. I’m usually a length over volume mascara user, but I love how this makes my lashes look! I feel very glam without having to do much, which rocks when you’re having to run to class but you don’t exactly want to look like a trashcan. The Color Precise eyeliner, first and foremost, is bright blue. My grandma has worn royal blue eye makeup my whole life, so I giggled a little when I saw this because it made me think of her. However, it’s actually a really nice product! It has a felt-tip applicator for easy wing-action and it dries so easily and quickly that I wasn’t worried about being careful with my eyes. It makes me feel very cool and edgy without looking too “out there”, which I appreciate. My personal favorite Rimmel product is the Only 1 Lipstick, which is such a beautiful red color. I love red lipstick because it makes me feel fierce and put together even if I may not be on top of my game. This red is so easy to apply and gives you a simple pop of color without constantly needing to reapply or fix it. All around, I think this whole look is great for a big presentation in class!

Monistat

Just to be frank, I had no idea what a yeast infection was until I got this product. But, thankfully for me, I’m not alone. College-aged women just haven’t been informed enough about health-related issues concerning their vaginas! So, I’m here to tell you, yeast infections are extremely common and can be cured by over-the-counter prescriptions, like Monistat! Monistat encourages women to be TMI about their vaginal health because it’s just as important as any other health issue. Once we as college women have a better understanding, we can have better health plans! So, if you’re having any irregular itching or discharge, or are having pain while urinating, you could have a yeast infection, but it’s exceptionally easy to handle. Monistat has an instant relief itch cream to help manage the initial discomfort, and then the over-the-counter prescription can help cure the infection.

L’eggs Sheer Energy

With fall making it’s way into the atmosphere, tights are about to become a must. These black tights are a perfect mix between sheer and opaque, so you can wear tights without overpowering your outfit. They’re also soft and breathable so they can be worn multi-seasonally!

Flying Colors Apparel

Flying Colors is a company that sells college tailored apparel to help you rock your school spirit, while staying cute and comfy! The only drawback is that because Brenau is a small college, they are not listed on this website. But, if you’re like me and you are a SEC superfan, you have access to large college apparel! And it’s all super affordable!

I Love Juicy Couture perfume

Perfume makes me sneeze, so I try to avoid it, but I tested this one just so I could let you guys know what I think! And, as a non-perfume wearer, I really like it! It’s sweet and nice without being too sticky or too overpowering. I’d like to think this would be the perfect date night perfume.

WearSafe

This is the coolest thing I have ever come across. It is a small device that helps keep you safe and secure during travel. If you feel like you are in danger, you can press the button and it’ll connect you to your friends and family, and a connected audio stream will keep them updated on the situation. The coolest part to me, though, is that a private chat can connect your family and friends who can make decisions on what to do if there is a serious emergency. As a frequent traveller, it is so intriguing to me to have discreet access to my parents and sorority sisters in case there is ever an emergency. I love new cities and new people and new experiences, and I think I can love them even more with this product! And the best part: One lucky winner and a friend will receive an all-expenses paid adventure of a lifetime. You pick where you want to go, your dream vacation spot, and WearSafe will foot the bill! Enter to win at wearsafe.com/adventure.

Andrews McMeel Publishing – “The Roommate Book”

The Roommate Book offers a not-so-serious guide to living with a friend (or total stranger). Filled with nuggets of wisdom, comical pie charts, hypotheticals, and illustrations, Becky Simpson tackles communal living topics like “Should I eat this without asking?”, “Creating Nicknames”, and “A Case for Blanket Forts”.

“Adulthood is a Myth”

Adulting is hard—navigating the murky waters of dating and relationships, hair and makeup, jobs, friendship, body image, introversion, laundry— how to cope?  By reading “Adulthood is a Myth” for comic relief, of course! Sarah’s frankness on personal issues like body image, self-consciousness, introversion, relationships, and the frequency of bra-washing makes her comics highly relatable and deeply hilarious.

CamelBak Forge Divide Mug

My roommate, Ashley, knows how much I love water bottles. They’re pretty scattered across our room with varying levels of water in them. It’s just because I believe in being hydrated and not sacrificing the environment to do it, which is why I got super excited when I saw a CamelBak water bottle. It’s metal, double-lined, and super sturdy for hot and cold drinks any time of the day! As college students, we don’t want to spend a lot of money, and buying one long-lasting water bottle to refill at your leisure is a great way to save money, while also investing in yourself and the environment. Plus, they come in lots of great, bright colors to bring your own style into play!

Diva Cup

I saved this one for last because I have a lot to say. I have been an avid Diva Cup user since high school and I was so excited to get to share my thoughts on this awesome product! So, if you don’t know, a Diva Cup is a bell-shaped menstrual cup that is inserted vaginally (like a tampon) and offers leak-free movement for up to 12 hours! It can also be worn overnight, so your sheets can rest easy! What I love so much about Diva Cups is how comfortable and easy-to-use they are! It’s a flexible cup, so it doesn’t push against your vaginal walls and add to your cramping and pain. It also collects rather than absorbs menstrual blood, so it is so easy to go about your day and scheduled activities without worrying about the state of your underwear and favorite pants! It gives me the opportunity to run and swim and wear fancy pants and all around do things that would normally be halted because of my period! Periods shouldn’t be something we fear or have anxiety about, which the DivaCup helps so much with! My favorite thing about it is that it is reusable and cost-friendly. I am a big proponent for things that help aid in the betterment of the environment, and a product that prevents hundreds of thousands of paper menstrual products from being entered into landfills is something I can get behind. And, even though it may seem expensive at first, in the long run you are saving so much when you don’t have to buy expensive, chemical filled, paper products again! It helps me breathe easy when my period hits!

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!