Finding the Perfect DIY Halloween Costume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

As college students, we like to spend less and get more! After all, we’re already emptying our pockets and our parents’ pockets for our college tuition! So when holidays like Halloween come around, that leaves us with a simple question and difficult answer: What am I going to do for a costume when I should spend my money on other things? Well to answer your question, you can Do It Yourself!

The average American will spend $74 for Halloween according to the National Retail Fountation. Why would I spend that much money on something that I will only wear one night when I could make my own? Tons of college students before you have done the same thing. Don’t feel embarrassed!  Often times the best costumes come from making them yourself because you get to be more creative!

The goal for Do-It-Yourself (DIY) costumes is to use clothing and items you either already have laying around or can be purchased for a small amount of money. Otherwise it’s just more work and the same amount of money as buying a costume already made. Many girls like to include homemade tutus in their DIY costumes to add extra cuteness. The material for tutu’s can be found at local fabric stores such as Joanne’s and Michael’s for a reasonable price.

Now to answer the even bigger question the majority of people get stuck on: What am I going to be for Halloween? All you need to do is look for a character or get a group of friends together to do a group costume! Pinterest is a great place to find ideas and they also have DIY costumes as well. Google, books, and movies are other great places to find inspiration for your Halloween costume this year.  

There are so many potential costumes to choose from. In order to help narrow down the best costumes for you ask yourself these questions:

Are you going solo…

It’s free to be a selfie for Halloween!

or with a group?

They went as the band, Kiss, with nothing more than black leggings and spikey heels.

Are you wanting to be scary?

If you consider scarecrows to be scary…

or cute?

Ariel is always cute.

Maybe even funny?

This is definitely a Where’s Waldo costume.

What characters do you like?

Maybe Flo from Progressive? You only need an apron and a wig.

Remember Spinelli from Recess? Combat boots, a red dress, a leather jacket, striped socks and a hat will have you looking just like her!

Channel your inner superhero with red heels, blue leggings, and a DIY Wonderwoman get up!

If you are still in need of some ideas then you’re in luck! Popsugar.com has a list of DIY costumes that any college student would love. They have costumes such as Lady Gaga, the energizer bunny, Mean Girls, The Little Mermaid and more all geared toward college students. Each idea includes a picture and what materials are needed to make them. It’s definitely worth a visit to the page if you’re looking of ideas.

So don’t worry if you’ve waited to the last minute to plan a Halloween costume. There is still plenty of time to DIY and create the best costume for yourself. Check out some ideas and get crafty, have fun and Trick or Treat! 

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!