Dear Jane Wood Allen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

A 27 year veteran in the Georgia School System is a racist? When I think about school systems, I think about education, learning, and growth. And when a woman has power to change and mold lives into her terrible mental mindset, it makes me worried. Jane Wood Allen–I’m sure every reasonable person cringed at the name—was called out on social media because of her statements about Michelle Obama. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, calling a black woman, much less the First Lady of the United States, a gorilla falls very short from tasteless. When I first heard about the statement, I kind of rolled my eyes and shrugged. “Another racist comment made, another ignorant person exposed; the struggle between races carries on”, I thought. But it was soon pointed out to me that not only was she in the GA school system, but she also attended my university. Brenau University—where I, a black woman, am getting my degree. Now, it was time for me to investigate. Searching the web led me to find out that she had been making other hateful comments about different religions and races. My thoughts were, “Why is she still employed at a job that influences young lives? I digress”. 

On to the next question, what is Brenau going to do about this? I recently sat down with BSA ( Black Student Association) president Diamond Wood to get the full story on Brenau’s precautions. “‘Conversation not Confrontation’ is our theme this year, so it make sense for us have to have an appropriate response,” Wood said. “We would have to say something – it would be a slap in the face of black students on campus if we didn’t”. When the battle started, the list of demands rang out: banning her from campus, banning her from sorority houses, and not accepting or giving her any funds from the university.

Because of her reckless posts on Facebook, Brenau University is associated with her terrible words. Even some of my friends are wondering if there may be more people like her coming from my school. It is disappointing that she is a representation of our alumni. I am proud that people in my school want to take action, but I don’t think I am quite satisfied. It bothers me that a person with racist history is even still employed…anywhere. This time, only the right person had to catch the post for it be exposed. What will happen next time? How do we know that there will be another time? Because racism is prevalent everywhere and it’s sad to have to think that one day, I might be a victim of it.

Dear Jane,

I would like to know: What were you thinking as you typed that Facebook post? Did you think that you would not be held responsible for your actions? Did you think you wouldn’t offend millions of African Americans across the globe? Do you know how hurtful your words are? Did you think about how someone like me would feel about being deteriated to monkeys, just as we were when we were slaves, despite all that we have accomplished? Did you even think at all when you made those racist, prejudice posts? Now, I am glad that your are held accountable for your actions, as we all should. My personal statement to you is the following: wake up. We blacks are beautiful, intelligent, versatile, and powerful. We deserve respect just like any other race. In this new age, we are capable of anything. We shine bright and it is hard enough without people like you trying to dim our light.

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!