This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

Hard times frequently surround us, especially following recent events, and though much attention should be focused on these occurrences, I feel it is beneficial to be reminded by the good; to be reminded that there are those in this world who, like we’d hope, are kind-hearted, open-minded, and determined to positively impact someone around them. This can be as little as giving someone money with no expectations of repayment or as great as raising over $300,000 to help refugees. As insignificant we may feel our place is in this world, I am here to remind you that everything you do, no matter how small, is important: be it an act of kindness, a word of encouragement, or the unconditional support you have for someone, your willingness to foster positivity around you is what helps change the world.

To begin, the Harold & Kumar actor, Kal Penn (Kalpen Suresh Modi), garnered much attention due to events that took place January 28, 2017. Penn took to Instagram to share an upsetting message that directly related to recent actions taken by Trump.

After reading a comment in which Penn was told he doesn’t belong in this country, the actor decided to forgo brushing aside the racist response received; instead, he set up a fundraiser to help Syrian refugees. With a goal of $400,000, Penn has had his expectations exceeded by the $700,000 that has already been donated. Not only is this a great use of his status in today’s society, but it also proves just how those among us are for helping refugees.

This, however, isn’t the first time Penn has utilized his celebrity status to bring awareness to the crisis relating to refugees. After winning MasterChef Celebrity Showdown, Penn chose United Nations Relief and Works Agency, UNRWA, as the charity that would receive the $25,000 award money, explaining that it was “important to choose an organization that directly helps those facing impossible hardships, especially refugee“.

Not only can we gain inspiration for change through seeing others take part in a collective effort, but we can also experience motivation through watching someone accomplish what may have been believed impossible. This is what happens to many that learn of Tao Porchon-Lynch, a 98 year old woman who has never accepted limitations. Having been an actress, screenplay writer, and documentarian, Porchon-Lynch now is known for Guinness World Records awarding her oldest yoga instructor at age 93 in 2012.

Despite her appearance earning skepticism and three hip replacement surgeries in her past, Porchon-Lynch is still able to go from triangle to downward facing dog with ease. Explaining her positive energy, the yoga instructor says that “[w]ithin yourself, there’s an energy, but unless you use it, it dissipates. And that’s when you get old”. Not only does she manage to inspire others through her impressive feats, but she has also partaken in marches alongside Martin Luther King Jr. and Ghandi. Having amassed a multitude of skills, experiences, and stories, Porchon-Lynch stands to be an inspiration. She is proof that there are no limitations great enough to hold you back from accomplishing your dreams.

Though arguements can be made that these are celebrities and, as such, they lead lives much more eventful and oppourtunity filled than ours, this stands to be an ineffective excuse – everyone has it within their capability to make a difference. Whether that change will affect only one person or thousands is in question, but these measurements can not be analyzed until one takes action. A perfect example is the creation of the Democratic and Republican groups on Brenau campus. Despite only having attended one meeting, I could feel the collective energy within the room as I realized how great our power was that we were not taking full advantage of. Some members had attended recent marches and protests and they utilized these actions as proof that their voice mattered. Talk of campus events occured, ideas were given by several members of the group, and thoughts were shared on how we could take issues to the local community and move for change we felt needed to occur. In that short hour, I felt motivated. Many of us sit and argue within our friend groups about how a certain politician made us feel or how a government decision is unconstituional, but the anger festers momentarily before the topic is changed and all is forgotten. This short hour, however, showed me how the conversation does not need to end and words stop being enough after a certain point. In that moment, I was surrounded by people who shared my views, frustrations, and hopes. And though I failed to speak to the majority, I felt motivated simply by their presence. 

Despite the political aspect of the aforementioned experience, it can be applied to anything. There have been moments where I take notice of someone’s clothing or work and I immediately feel the need to compliment them. And up till a certain time, I didn’t. But I realized that, if anything, it makes their day and spreads kindness. It’s no $700,000, but they say a smile is priceless. If there is something you have been wanting to do and all that has held you back so far is simply your own thoughts, then now is the time to change.

You’re under no obligation to be the same person you were five minutes ago – Alan Watts

If you would like to donate to Kal Penn’s fundraiser, visit https://www.crowdrise.com/donating-to-syrian-refugees-in-the-name-of-the-dude-who-said-i-dont-belong-in-america/fundraiser/kalpenn.

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!