This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

The Get Down is a Netflix Original Series that centers around a changing New York City (specifically the South Bronx) in the late 1970’s and incorporates the best of disco and early hip-hop. It is full of strong women and vulnerable men. It does have a lot of profanity and some violence, but I think it’s all worth it. Personally, I think it is one of the most underrated shows on Netflix right now. I’m going to try so hard not to spoil anything because it’s pure artistry. So, here’s 8 reasons you should be watching The Get Down!

1. THE MUSIC

I love any sort of music from the 70’s. I love disco, I love punk, I love psychadelic rock, I love early hip-hop, I love it all. So, obviously, when I saw that this show was set in the 1970’s and centered around music, I was hooked. Ezekiel, Shaolin Fantastic, and The Get Down brothers find solidarity and acceptance in the emerging hip-hop scene. Mylene Cruz wants nothing more than to be a disco star. There are also some great rock jams, and some salsa hits. All sides come together in a beautiful, political soundtrack. The whole thing is on Spotify. Do your ears a favor.

2. THE CAST

Jaden Smith is in it y’all. Do I need to say anything else? But really, the cast is full of sweet, adorable, up-and-coming stars. Their energy and vulnerability makes the show so much more full of life. You can tell that everything they’re saying and doing is from the heart. The characters are so dynamic because of the dedication this cast put into the first 6 episodes. I just want to give all of them a hug.

3. JADEN SMITH

Speaking of: I am obsessed with Jaden Smith. Everything about him makes me happy. But, specifically his role in this show. He’s hilarious. He’s so heart-warmingly supportive of everyone. He transcends gender roles. He is so artistic and free, maybe a little bit queer. I’m pretty convinced that they didn’t give him a script and just let him say whatever he felt was appropriate at the moment. There is just so much about his character that makes this show worth watching.

4. THE COSTUME DEPARTMENT

I don’t know who to thank for the amount of bellbottoms in this show, but I’m so in love. Everything about the styles they wear makes me want to search Goodwill until I achieve my 1970’s fever dream aesthetic. The show is full of flowy crop tops, short-shorts, knee highs, and leisure suits. It’s extremely historically accurate, but more importantly, it’s extremely regionally accurate. None of these “struggling kids from the Bronx” are in excessive glittery dresses or shining new suits. They’re in tee shirts and shorts and pants that you would assume are hand-me-downs and consignment buys. Every small element added to this show makes it more and more compelling.

5. THE STRONG FEMALE LEADS

Anyone who knows me knows how hard I go for shows that accurately portray how amazing and strong women are. This is the show. Mylene Cruz is a Puerto Rican girl who fights everything for her career, and even has the nerve to tell her man that she doesn’t have time for him because she has goals to achieve. Her best friends are full of personality and individuality, and together, they stand up for everything they believe in. I’m fully convinced that these 3 could easily run the world. In a time when the world wasn’t really working for women (especially women of color), these girls were making the world work for them anyway. They challenge men’s ideas and obligations put upon them, and flawlessly sashay and sing their way through the South Bronx. I could go on all day, but then you wouldn’t watch it.

6. THE POLITICS

I’m a political science major, so this was bound to happen. But, if you don’t know, the late 1970’s was a horrible time for NYC and especially the burrows with majorly POC populations, like the South Bronx. Their infrastructure was in shambles, and political higher-ups were funding further destruction of the area. Poverty was so prevalent, but people were living on anyway. When there was a blackout, everywhere but Manhattan was left in the dark for days at a time. The characters are meant to decide between their culture and family, and the conformity and suppression that comes with “opportunities” that could get them out of the Bronx. The Get Down dives into the corruption that was afoot at the time. If you want a really accurate and interesting portrayal of a lot of what has led to poverty and violence cycles in NYC, this is the show for you.

7. THE DIVERSITY

So. Many. Amazing. People. Of. Color. I cannot preach enough to how exceptionally representative this show is. There is a thriving, loving black family. There is strong Puerto Rican influence. There are Afro-Latinos. There is just so much diversity. The show is one-hundred percent centered around people of color, and it throws no punches. The issues addressed are wholeheartedly minority issues that are still true today. If you feel white guilt watching this show, you do not understand the point they’re trying to make.

8. THE CENTRAL THEMES

Be your own person. Don’t sacrifice your dreams for other people. The power of family and community. The power of music. The power of you. Perseverance. Struggle breeds strength. Love conquers all. I took so many lessons away from this show. I love everything it has to offer.

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!