This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

As a freshman last year, I learned that people love sharing wisdom about making the most of college. Now that I’m a sophomore, I cannot resist the urge to impart my take on living and learning at Brandeis.

I hereby present to you unsolicited advice and honest opinions from a 19 year-old collegiette (who, admittedly, still has quite a bit to learn).

Attend events. Keep your eye out for events that may pique your interest. Many events are also a sanctuary for free food, spirit gear, and miscellaneous. They are also a great way to learn something new, meet new people, or round up friends for some together time. You can make it awesome.

Don’t forget: There’s a pool. There’s a gym. Your tuition money goes into providing numerous valuable services that far too many students fail to make use of, from exercise equipment to extra study resources. In other words, find out what is being offered, and use it to your advantage!

Time flies. Sure, you’ll be here for four years, but those four years will likely whoosh by. Figure out your major requirements and graduation requirements in the beginning. Plan ahead so that you won’t be panicking, rushing to take summer classes, and still feeling lost when graduation rolls around.

Seek novelty. Unlike high school, college offers a relatively vast array of class options (from printmaking  to astrophysics), clubs and organizations (Join HerCampus!), and sports (archery, anyone?). This is your chance to explore potential majors, take on new hobbies, expand your palette! Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there even if things don’t work out in the end.

College = school. You’re dropping several grand per year to get a degree (did you know that Brandeis is the second most expensive school in MA?). It’s a pretty big deal.  Know your priorities!

Communicate. Whether it’s with roommates, study buddies, professors – it’s more important than ever to make and maintain positive, healthy connections.

Dining hall food is…dining hall food. Imagine having to wake up before sunrise to prepare enough food to serve thousands of hungry individuals every day, all within a few hours at a time. Don’t be surprised if the food doesn’t satiate your taste buds. It’s also not unusual that students may get bored of the food after a while. But don’t hold whatever exits the dining hall kitchens to home-cooked-meal standards. On the contrary, you should probably just keep your standards to a realistic minimum.

Throw your expectations out of your dusty, partially-stuck dorm window. Something I came to realize was that I had set too many expectations and made assumptions about college, from the cleanliness of living in an all-girls hall (or lack of, actually) to what courses I would like or not like. Even the degrees I envisioned myself receiving have changed dramatically in the past year. Now is the time to keep an open mind.

Take care of yourself. Your money, your memories, your decisions, your future. Ultimately, the person that matters most is you.

Rachel is a junior math major and premed student at Brandeis University. She is an EMT and recently joined her school's EMS squad. When she's not busy studying, she enjoys blogging, watching sitcoms, drawing zentangles, folding origami, and eating chocolate.