This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

College life can be exciting, exhausting, exhilarating and growth-inducing all at the same time. That is what makes these four years the most special filled with experience and change. As a second semester sophomore, I think I have grappled with enough change, adjustment, and learning to talk about how it has affected me and how I have grown.

I came into college not knowing what I wanted to do and who I wanted to be. I still don’t, but I do have a better picture and a starting point. Over the two years I figured out my major, my study abroad plans and got involved with tons of things on campus that made my time at Brandeis even more special. Through all of this, I learned that nothing is constant. I thought college would be the biggest change and transition of my life, however, I soon realized that college is just a stepping stone to many big changes. Every semester my classes change, my schedule changes, my activities change and no day in my college life so far has looked the same. That has been exciting and scary all and at the same time and took some getting used to. Most importantly, my friends have changed. Every semester my dynamic and friendship with people have changed and friend groups have transformed. As people grow, adapt and figure out themselves, so do friendships. Even though my first semester friends are still special and will always hold a place in my heart we have all branched out and evolved. As we got involved in different things, lived in different places on campus and figured out our areas of interest, our friendship changed as well. I used to think this was a bad thing and that I’m constantly losing people in my life. Eventually, I got used to it and began to embrace the change. I accepted my changing dynamics with friendships and stopped fighting the change. That has been my biggest learning in college so far. As people grow, so will friendships. I began to choose my happiness and my interest before everything and started making my college experience the way I wanted it to be.

This is to say, I still have some of my closest friends here from freshman year, however, I have also developed new relationships that are just as special to me. Change is constant and college is the best time to start being okay with it. I know that I still have a long way to go and so much more to learn and I can’t want to see for what my next two years have in store.

Sakinah Master

Brandeis '21

Sakinah is Senior at Brandeis University persuring a degree in Psychology and Public Health. She is from Mumbai (India) and hopes to make a change in the field of mental health in her hometown one day! 
Campus Coordinator at Brandeis University