Easy Ways to Practice Mindfulness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Do you ever find yourself drifting off during conversations, or worrying about the future instead of enjoying the “here and now?” The past few days, I’ve been finding myself, well . . . “un-present.” I’ve been so consumed with future plans that it feels like the days are going by without my actually being present. For this week’s article, I decided to write about my favorite ways to practice mindfulness. You don’t need to meditate for 20 minutes (although that’s highly effective) in order to be present. There are tons of awesome ways to practice mindfulness:  

1.  I’m back!

You simply say (in your head), “I’m back!” and you’re instantly back in the present moment. I learned this tip from Josh Pais, of Committed Impulse. It’s a fantastic way to ground yourself in the present, even when you’ve been daydreaming during your friend’s rant about Sodexo food. 

2. Take a deep breath

We’re obviously breathing all the time, but how often do you actually b-r-e-a-t-h-e . . . ? How often do you close your eyes, breathe deeply through your nose, and exhale? 

3. Bye-bye technology

You don’t need to kiss technology goodbye for hours on end, but simply taking a ten minute break from technology, or even just putting your phone on airplane mode, produces amazing results. Your productivity levels will skyrocket, your memory will improve, and now you can actually hear every word of those Sodexo rants. 

4. Journal

I’m a journaling evangelist. It’s one of the most valuable tools for clarity and insight. It’s an excellent way to minimize stress and gather your thoughts, and you’re totally living in the moment when you get into the flow of writing. 

5. Go on a walk

Nothing grounds me more than a brisk walk outside. When I find myself getting distracted, I simply take a five minute walk outside. Take time to appreciate the trees, the oxygen in the air, and the beauty of life. 

7. Create a pre-eating ritual

Am I the only one who feels nostalgic after I’m done eating a really delicious meal? I’m often like, “Man, I should’ve taken the time to enjoy that more!” To really appreciate your food, create a ritual. Expressing your gratitude for the food you’re about to eat, or slowly washing your hands before a meal, are simple pre-meal practices that remind you to be present during your meal. Oh, and as difficult as it may be, put away your phone! 

Remember: “Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience. It isn’t more complicated than that. It is opening to or receiving the present moment, pleasant or unpleasant, just as it is, without either clinging to it or rejecting it.” – Sylvia Boorstein

Lots of love,

Becca 

Becca is a health-enthusiast, writer, and college student. She is originally from South Florida and is currently studying at Brandeis University. She also blogs for Huffington Post, enjoys running + yoga, and lives for the beach.