Easy Tips for Staying Focused

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

We’ve all been there . . .  Your “To-Do” list is growing exponentially, but you just can’t seem to get it together. So, I’ve compiled yet another list which is designed to help you get things done!

1. Schedule your priorities

I’m a huge fan of “To-Do” lists. Outlining every task, appointment, and goal makes everything much less daunting and far more manageable. I recommend writing out your goals each night so that when morning comes, you are ready to take on the day! 

2. Change your environment

If you’re in a studying rut, try changing your environment. If you’ve gotten so used to studying in the library, for example, study in the SCC for a nice change of pace. I find that it’s very useful to distinguish where you sleep/relax/socialize to where you focus and get work done. Find a place that you can fully associate with studying, and the distractions are less likely to creep in. 

3. Stay fueled 

It’s easy to reach for that third cup of coffee when you’re running on virtually no sleep, but keep in mind that what your body is really looking for is brain-powering food. Try grabbing an apple (which actually contains caffeine), some oatmeal (hearty meal that gives quick energy), or some omega-rich walnuts and/or almonds (they’re great for your brain!). These healthier alternatives will give you authentic fuel that will make it easier to tackle even the toughest of tasks. 

4. Take a break

Feelings of exhaustion and “burn-out” are a lot less likely to occur when you actually allow yourself to – get this –take a break! If you’ve been studying non-stop for hours on end, your productivity level is going to be way lower than if you take a short walk, watch a video of a sneezing panda, or simply rest. Give yourself the gift of a good ole’ break. 

5. And if all else fails, isolate yourself from outside distractions

This may sound pretty harsh but sometimes the only option is literally removing yourself from any external disruptions. There is actually an app called “selfcontrol.com” that prevents you from accessing sites like Facebook or Twitter (whichever you choose, it’s customizable), allowing you to fully focus on your assignments. This is pretty extreme but hey, you do what you gotta do! 

Good luck studying! 

Becca is a health-enthusiast, writer, and college student. She is originally from South Florida and is currently studying at Brandeis University. She also blogs for Huffington Post, enjoys running + yoga, and lives for the beach.