bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 (Sneaky) Ways to Live Healthfully

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

As a passionate foodie who lives and breathes to eat, I can’t imagine having to sacrifice ice-cream or chocolate cake to be “healthy.” Yet, even with my deep affection for chocolate cake, I have an even deeper affection for healthy living. I’ve personally witnessed the transformative effects of eating real foods and practicing radical self-care — and I was definitely not ready to give that up when I started college. This week’s post was inspired by my own quest to find sneaky ways to incorporate heathy habits and effective rituals into everyday life.

1. Hydrate before eight (A.M.): After sleeping for (hopefully) 7-8 hours, your body needs hydration. Upon rising, drink a tall glass of water with lemon (awesome source of vitamin c and incredible alkalizing). I usually heat up some H20 in my kettle and add some ginger tea with a pinch of lemon juice. Starting your day by hydrating and alkalizing your body literally makes your cells sing and sets you up for success throughout the day.
  2. Stretch: Great news! Moving your body does not need to entail making that trek to the gym! Get yourself a yoga mat (or a towel) and stretch for 5 minutes. Get into the habit of stretching right when you wake up or, even better, dance!
  3. Eat breakfast: I’ve talked about the importance of eating a healthy breakfast in many of my articles. If the first thing you put in your body is healthy, you will be rejuvenated, you will be energized, and you will be far more likely to make smart food-choices for the rest of the day.
  4. Walk and talk: instead of calling your high school BFF from your dorm, call her from outside! If it’s too hot, too cold, or too rainy, call her while you’re on a treadmill. Likewise, take the longer route to get to class, take the stairs instead of the elevator, and sporadically do 30 squats when you have a free minute. Staying fit does not require spending hours at the gym, just get moving! Set a timer on your phone for 3-5 times to remind you to get up and shake your body. In between study breaks, put on some dance music and jam out for a 5 minutes!
  5. Snack right: late-night binges are usually the downfall of a healthy lifestyle. The solution? Don’t buy unhealthy snacks! If you don’t have those Doritos or that Ben & Jerry’s, you won’t be tempted to eat them. If you have a major sweet tooth, opt for more Smart Pop or dark chocolate. Fruit, nuts, and grains are ideal snacks for during the day.
  6. Drink a lot of water: many times, we mistake hunger for thirst. Make sure to get enough H20 throughout the day (I recommend buying a water bottle that you really like for inspiration).
  7. Have FUN: You guys, having said all that, just have fun! Go easy on yourself, stretch out of your comfort zone, and enjoy that chocolate cake! Happiness is the ultimate healthy habit!

Xo,

Becca

Becca is a health-enthusiast, writer, and college student. She is originally from South Florida and is currently studying at Brandeis University. She also blogs for Huffington Post, enjoys running + yoga, and lives for the beach.