5 Easy Habits for a Healthier Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

College is pretty notorious for unhealthy living. Seemingly endless amounts of ice-cream and pizza (all included in our meal plans) make it difficult to keep our health on track. While I’m by no means suggesting you give up delicious, cheesy pizza, I’m going to suggest a few super easy ways to add healthy habits into your life!

1. Start your day with a tall glass of warm lemon water 

Lemon water boots your metabolism, keeps your skin clear, reduces inflammation, and gives you energy. (I recommend buying straight-up lemon juice; sold on Amazon or your local supermarket).  

2. Eat a healthy breakfast 

I get it. When you’re in a huge rush, breakfast is not necessarily a priority. But, it kind of is. Your body has been fasting for hours and requires fuel to keep you going. If you nourish your body in the morning, you’ll end up being much more careful with how you choose the rest of your meals. Even if you don’t have time to make it to the dining hall, have a banana with almond butter, or an 88 Acres granola bar (now sold at the C-store), or prepare some overnight oats the night before. It may take a bit of preparation (or simply waking up five minutes earlier), but trust me, it’s worth it!

3. Stay active 

I know cramming in an hour-long workout isn’t all that realistic when you’re balancing the many components of college life. So, how about adding more activity to your everyday routine? You know that climb up Rabb? That counts! Or the trek from lower to upper campus? That counts too! Implementing more activity into your schedule is a really easy way to stay fit. Want to take it to the next level? Set a timer every few hours and do a few rounds of squats and lunges. It will only take a couple minutes out of your day and you’re working those muscles!

4. Snack right 

It all comes back to the food. . . Having the right staples in your dorm room can make all the difference. When you only have healthier options in front of you, temptations (and the yucky feeling that follows) go away. 

5. Take care of yourself

Treating yourself to an hour’s worth of pampering recharges your mind and your body. It really is therapeutic! Some of my favorite activities for a DIY spa day include: painting nails, applying facial masks/ scrubs, and relaxing music. 

Becca is a health-enthusiast, writer, and college student. She is originally from South Florida and is currently studying at Brandeis University. She also blogs for Huffington Post, enjoys running + yoga, and lives for the beach.