This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Just because the colder weather is here, does not mean that you should stop working out for that “summer body.” Here are step-by-step instructions some of the most effective ab workouts in the fitness industry!

1.   Plank

Target Area: All regions

Start off on the floor. Support yourself in a push up position. Lower yourself down to the floor, so that you are supporting yourself now on your placing your weight on your forearms and toes. Make sure that your arms are directly underneath your shoulders and your butt is parallel to the ground and not up towards the ceiling. You can either spread your legs apart and hold or have your legs shoulder-width apart and hold.

Hold for 30 seconds for 3 sets each with increasing 15 second interval.  

2.   Side Crunch

Target Area: Obliques

Start off on the floor. Turn your legs to the side while keeping your waist directed more towards the ceiling. Then, place your hands behind your head. Continue doing a regular crunch motion in which you slightly lift your head off the ground a couple of inches, and then lower your head back down to the point where it almost reaches the ground.

Repeat for 15 reps and 2 sets for each side

3.   Arm Over Leg Pull

Target Area: Lower Abs 

Start off on the floor with 8-10 lbs dumbells. Extend your arms behind your head and legs at a 45 degree angle. Then bring your arms and legs together without bending your legs are arms and both are perpendicular to the floor. Return back to starting position but without both arms and legs touching the floor. 

Repeat for 15 repetitions on each side for 3 sets.

4.   Bicycle Crunch

Target Area: Obliques

Start off on the floor. Place your hands behind your head. Raise and bend your knees to a 90 degree angle. Start to raise your body so that the opposite elbow touches the opposite knee. Lower yourself down slightly, and repeat the motion for the other side. Make sure that you are not going too fast to really work your sides.

Repeat for 15 repetitions on each

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.