This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

Seasonal affective disorder, more commonly referred to as seasonal depression, is an extremely common issue. It can be hard to understand just how much a seasonal disorder can affect someone’s life in all seasons. This issue can lead to extreme issues with emotional connections and communication through all times in one’s life.

While this disorder is quite serious, there are things to help ease the negative effects that come along with it. One of the most obvious “solutions” is seeking help from a professional and potentially taking medication. That’s definitely the most effective strategy, but there are some small strategies or adjustments that can make coping with this disorder or depressed feelings much easier, that I’ve found.

The first thing to address with this process is the mentality you have about it, the way you consider yourself, your habits and others around you matters immensely. An internal issue that many people seem to struggle with is patience; being patient with yourself while you try to make improvements is one of the biggest factors in a healthy mental state. Making yourself feel bad for feelings that you can’t control can be counterintuitive and cause a larger decline in mental health. One other small adjustment that can be made to the mental approach you take that is helpful is advocating for yourself; letting people know that you’re having a hard time is important. Others are usually a lot more understanding with people when your upfront and honest. One last mental adjustment or change of habit that can be made is being mindful of the space you’re in. Moreover, make sure that you’re comfortable with your headspace and your literal living space.

Aside from mental habit adjustments, habits regarding your physical and social health can also be adjusted to make dealing with this situation easier. Physical health plays a very important role in mental health, more than people might realize. Though it might seem really simple, keeping hygiene in mind is very serious. Two other physical health habits that might not be as attainable, but should still be strived for, are healthy diet and exercise. Healthy eating habits are much more attainable than keeping yourself motivated to go to the gym, in my opinion, but it still can be hard when you are struggling with mental health. Healthy eating is essential to your mental health because it can affect energy levels and mood in a major way. Exercise, while a bit trickier, is also an important factor in mood regulation and sleep habits.

Lastly there are some social and general habits that can be helpful in improving mental health. One very necessary habit to practice is doing your best to be social. It’s very easy to withdrawal but talking to others can help you feel a bit better about the situation. Texting or FaceTiming friends is a great option if you can’t seem to get out and about, but trying to see people in person is definitely the better option if you feel up to it. Another good habit is getting outside or getting some natural light in your living space. Some ways to do this are going on walks outside (if it’s warm enough), opening the shades to let some natural light in or getting a sunlight lamp in your room. These habits are important because they boost serotonin levels in the brain.

Dealing with seasonal depression, depression in general or just feelings of depression is never easy but some small steps can be taken to ease the struggle. Hopefully, some of these steps provide small solutions for people who may be dealing with any of the above listed problems. Thanks for reading! :)

Grace Oatman

Bradley U '25

I am a Freshman Psychology major at Bradley University. I hope to be a Pediatric Psychologist. In my time with Her Campus I would like to write about mental health in our society, as it is something I am passionate about. I also do enjoy a good entertainment piece and intend to write plenty of them too. I also currently write for our twitter page; insert self-promo here: @HCBradleyU. That's all for now though. – g:)