What is a Lyric or Quote said by a Black Person that hits home for you?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

So, I asked a couple of people close to me, and I had people reach out to me on social media to answer this question: What is a lyric or quote said by a black person that hit home with you or resonates with you. For their safety, I am only going to use first names. I gave these people no restrictions, no word count, not even curse word limitations. All I asked for was an honest answer. Here is what I got. 

Aaliyah is a friend I met in highschool. She said her favorite lyric is from “Majesty” by Common and PJ. The lyric goes, “We good people every day, this is my season every day, now, now. I’m in tune with you, thoughts consumin’ you. You my destiny, you my destiny. Unusual, beautiful, my desire is moving through you. You my destiny, you my destiny. You seekin’ peace? We can find a hideaway. Where you can do yoga and be on your namaste. I’m a modern-day, Renaissance, royal piece of work. Been working on myself, girl, you can see the work I know that we can work like Ossie and Ruby D.” Personally, I think this proves how loving Aaliyah is.

Kacy is one of the people I am closest with now in college. I met her at the beginning of the year and she is a character. Her favorite quote would be when Tupac said, “They got money for war but can’t feed the poor.” The truth is incredible when put in a piece of art. 

Trin is one of my her campus sisters. She’s one of the sassiest people I know and it shows in her favorite quote. This quote is, “I could have another you by tomorrow,” coming from queen B herself — Beyoncé. 

Imani is one of the most unique people I have ever met. She is genuine and I love listening to her sing. Her favorite quote comes from the song “Momma” by Kendrick Lamar, which is, “I know what I know and I know it well not to ever forget, until I realized I didn’t know sh*t, the day I came home.”

Trinity is a couple years younger than me but I have learned a lot from her. Her favorite quote is, “Growin’, growin’ like a Baobab tree, of life on fertile ground, ancestors put me on game Ankh charm on gold chains, with my Oshun energy oh Drip all on me, woo, Ankh or the Dashiki print.” This is another Beyoncé lyric. Trinity also says she thinks of this as one of her most spiritual verses. 

Brian is someone who reached out over social media to help. He is very much into poetry. His favorite quote comes from Kobe Bryant when he said, “everything negative — pressure, challenges — is an opportunity for me to rise.” He also loves a quote said by Dwyane Wade. He said, “my belief is stronger than your doubt.” 

Marcus is a college student who cheers, and he does a lot for the team he is on. “I know that sounds crazy to everyone else, But I’m depressed as f*ck, Stressed as f*ck, Ain’t no medicine that could cure what’s the test as drugs mean, I need extra love, And that ain’t even enough.” This quote goes into having to wear a mask in front of the world as Joyner Lucas shows in a lot of his music, and this quote from the song “I’m Sorry.”

Belly is also someone who I met once getting to college. He doesn’t seem to be a super deep person, but he clearly shows it in this quote. His quote comes from a Jhene Aiko song which says, “Is it strange for me to say that if I were to die today, There’s not a thing that I would change I’ve lived well.”

My older sister Jada is someone I look up to, and I’m so very grateful for her. Her quote was sweet and simple. Her quote was, “I will rise up.” Simple as that. This quote came from Andra Day’s famous song “Rise Up.”

Finally my parents. My mother had two quotes for me. The first one is, “I’ve got the power” by Snap. which you do indeed have mom. The second quote is from Beyoncé. This quote is from her song “Cozy” and states, “Comfortable in my skin, Cozy with who I am, I love myself, goddamn.” I couldn’t agree more. 

Then my father had three quotes, always trying to one up my mother. The first one being by Lox/styles p. The song says, “Blood is thicker than water only in some cases you need water to live, you learn that in the basics.” My fathers second quote is by Tupac when he said, “I’m seeing nothing but my dreams coming true … while I’m staring at the world through my rearview.” Just amazing. The final quote is said by Notorious B.I.G. who said, “The sun don’t shine forever but as long as it’s here we might as well shine together … better now than never … business before pleasure.”

I hope that these quotes and lyrics tell you what black people in today’s world are going through and that not everything is as it seems. Time may have changed but certain problems are still relevant. Happy Black History Month. 

Jasmyn Burton

Bradley U '26

I am a freshman theater performance major, thinking about minoring in African American and music studies. I joined her campus because I wanted an outlet to write more about what I want instead of the essays we are forced to write in college. I plan to stay in Her Campus for my full college career.